Snowshoe cat?

Casper868

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I recently got a rescue cat from northern Canada, and I am wondering if he is a snowshoe cat mix with Tabby? I know it seems odd. He is a short hair cat. His personality is vocal, high energy and social with one person (me). He is a small cat. Let me know what you think!!! Obviously did not get him for the breed, just fell in love with him when my sister found him abandoned. But interested to hear people’s thoughts! I think I will get him a pet DNA kit eventually :)

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't see either snowshoe or tabby in your cat. One of the most distinctive features of a snowshoe siamese cat is dark colored legs with white feet. Check out the TICA description of the Snowshoe.

Tabby is a pattern, not a breed. Tabby patterns come in mackerel (stripes), classic (swirls), spotted, and ticked. I don't see any of those patterns in your kitty.

Without a known history he's considered a Domestic Shorthair. He's absolutely gorgeous! Love those blue eyes. I'd hesitate to name even a lookalike breed, mostly because I can't think of one off the top of my head.

What is your kitty's name?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I recently got a rescue cat from northern Canada, and I am wondering if he is a snowshoe cat mix with Tabby? I know it seems odd. He is a short hair cat. His personality is vocal, high energy and social with one person (me). He is a small cat. Let me know what you think!!! Obviously did not get him for the breed, just fell in love with him when my sister found him abandoned. But interested to hear people’s thoughts! I think I will get him a pet DNA kit eventually :)
He is a beauty 😻 such a cutie… I would say he is a dsh bicolor sealpoint with white and snowshoe characteristics. Snowshoes are pretty much extinct as a breed now but they started from siamese kitties who had white spotting. His ears are a bit rounded and he has an overall oriental look. All pointed kitties have siamese heritage somewhere down the line.
Link on snowshoes: Snowshoe cat - Wikipedia

I posted more snowshoe links on other posts here so you can search those too. That bicolor point pattern can be seen in ragdolls too. I don’t see any tabby markings on him. Not all snowshoes have only the white paws some like one at the link have white going higher up too, but that may be the breed standard. I only found one breeder a few months ago who seemed to still breed snowshoes who also breeds siamese kitties.

Thanks for saving him, you won the lottery ❤

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowshoes are pretty much extinct as a breed now but they started from siamese kitties who had white spotting.
Not sure where you got this impression, but they’re still around. A rare breed, certainly, but they’re hardly extinct. There are many breeders working on adding new blood to their pedigree lines through outcrossing to healthy pointed moggies/domestics with the correct white pattern and type that’s not too far off from breed standard.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you got this impression, but they’re still around. A rare breed, certainly, but they’re hardly extinct. There are many breeders working on adding new blood to their pedigree lines through outcrossing to healthy pointed moggies/domestics with the correct white pattern and type that’s not too far off from breed standard.
Maybe where you are, but here when searching as stated in other posts and here I only found one breeder who was still actually breeding them with any pattern.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe where you are, but here when searching as stated in other posts and here I only found one breeder who was still actually breeding them with any pattern.
I meant globally.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant globally.
Good to hear others are breeding them. I found another here who breeds siamese and occasional snowshoe, classic & trad style mostly, very beautiful cats, like my Quinn, but very pricey at $3500 per kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Casper868

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see either snowshoe or tabby in your cat. One of the most distinctive features of a snowshoe siamese cat is dark colored legs with white feet. Check out the TICA description of the Snowshoe.

Tabby is a pattern, not a breed. Tabby patterns come in mackerel (stripes), classic (swirls), spotted, and ticked. I don't see any of those patterns in your kitty.

Without a known history he's considered a Domestic Shorthair. He's absolutely gorgeous! Love those blue eyes. I'd hesitate to name even a lookalike breed, mostly because I can't think of one off the top of my head.

What is your kitty's name?
His name is Nugget! I should have attached a pic of the top of his head, that is where I was getting the tabby pattern idea from 😊

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Casper868

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a beauty 😻 such a cutie… I would say he is a dsh bicolor sealpoint with white and snowshoe characteristics. Snowshoes are pretty much extinct as a breed now but they started from siamese kitties who had white spotting. His ears are a bit rounded and he has an overall oriental look. All pointed kitties have siamese heritage somewhere down the line.
Link on snowshoes: Snowshoe cat - Wikipedia

I posted more snowshoe links on other posts here so you can search those too. That bicolor point pattern can be seen in ragdolls too. I don’t see any tabby markings on him. Not all snowshoes have only the white paws some like one at the link have white going higher up too, but that may be the breed standard. I only found one breeder a few months ago who seemed to still breed snowshoes who also breeds siamese kitties.

Thanks for saving him, you won the lottery ❤
Thank you so much for your thorough reply! This makes sense. He seems to show some of the distinct Siamese traits especially being vocal!

I attached a picture in my reply to another comment which shows why I thought he might have a bit of tabby pattern going on on his head

he is definitely very special and a sweetheart ❤ He was semi feral when I got him at 5 months and I have been so lucky he decided to trust me, he has made so much progress!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much for your thorough reply! This makes sense. He seems to show some of the distinct Siamese traits especially being vocal!

I attached a picture in my reply to another comment which shows why I thought he might have a bit of tabby pattern going on on his head

he is definitely very special and a sweetheart ❤ He was semi feral when I got him at 5 months and I have been so lucky he decided to trust me, he has made so much progress!
I dont know if I see the extra pic. But on one of the pics there are some stripes visible in the brown... I think these are ghost stripes of some sort. Thus, no real tabby markings.

If he were tabby for real, we would see it in the black on his head. So, no lynx, just seal and white point. :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aww, I love that he decided you are his mom now and is at ease 💕 Those tabby ghost stripes are not unusual in color point cats, to see some stripes here and there at the edge of their masks etc. or on legs. You can see them on Quinn’s face when he was a kitten too. (Pb siamese sealpoint)All cats have tabby stripes under whatever color they are if they are not clear cut tabbies and if it shows through it is often called ghosting. For instance white will mask many other colors which is prolly why your guy will not show the mask on his face the same way.

My Zena who I recently rescued was so scared and aggressive and he has turned into a lovebug too. He is a dlh bw bicolor tuxedo.

7A17D39B-3A44-4C12-960B-3B40DFECD108.jpeg