"snow tiger" siamese cats

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only seen this description in one place, and they are some stunningly gorgeous cats. They've got blue eyes, their points are only slightly darker than their fur, and they are shaggy with manes (from the one or two photos I could find). From what I read, they are extremely rare. Has anyone here ever heard of these?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only Snow Tigers I know of are simply Lynx Point Siamese.
These certainly don't sound like Siamese that you're talking about.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how rare lynx points are, one of the Siamese breeders here may be able to tell you.

You describe a shagginess though, perhaps what you saw was a lynx point Balinese or Javanese?

anreed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The picture you posted is that of lynx point Balinese. I happen to know the breeder that owns that particular cat. Here is a lynx point Siamese (CPSH) breeder of mine:

I would not say that lynx points are rare, but they certainly aren't the most common color in the breed. In order to get a lynx point kitten, one of the parents has to be a lynx point.

Hope this helps!!

tailsoluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It appears to be an "oops" domestic longhair which is being promoted by some of the BYBs in Cat Fancy Magazine. I have not heard of any of the so-called breeders of this breed even attempting breed status with any of the accepted associations. For one thing, Siamese, by definition, are neither longhairs nor do they carry the longhair gene. One might say that it appeared to be an old-style Balinese, but head shape is too typically domestic. I have not shown in AACE in a number of years, so I can't say for sure whether someone might be working toward these "Snowshoe Siamese" in that association. Does anyone here show AACE enough to be able to help me out on this?

BTW, I should point out to anyone who is not familiar with the major registering bodies in the USA and Canada, they are CFA, CFF, ACFA, TICA, AACE, ACA, CCA, UFO and ICE. TCA does not have pedigrees which are accepted by the other associations, and therefore a cat registered in TCA (Traditional Cat Association) may not cross register with the other associations from a TCA registration alone. ACR (American Cat Registry) is merely a body which takes one's money and records the cat and issues a form, much the way one could register their Cabbage Patch Dolls years ago. It does not indicate that a cat is of any known breed to man, so if you see someone advertising that their cats are ACR registered, realize that it is a BYB trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Barb Amalfi

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tailsoluv

It appears to be an "oops" domestic longhair which is being promoted by some of the BYBs in Cat Fancy Magazine. I have not heard of any of the so-called breeders of this breed even attempting breed status with any of the accepted associations. For one thing, Siamese, by definition, are neither longhairs nor do they carry the longhair gene. One might say that it appeared to be an old-style Balinese, but head shape is too typically domestic. I have not shown in AACE in a number of years, so I can't say for sure whether someone might be working toward these "Snowshoe Siamese" in that association. Does anyone here show AACE enough to be able to help me out on this?

BTW, I should point out to anyone who is not familiar with the major registering bodies in the USA and Canada, they are CFA, CFF, ACFA, TICA, AACE, ACA, CCA, UFO and ICE. TCA does not have pedigrees which are accepted by the other associations, and therefore a cat registered in TCA (Traditional Cat Association) may not cross register with the other associations from a TCA registration alone. ACR (American Cat Registry) is merely a body which takes one's money and records the cat and issues a form, much the way one could register their Cabbage Patch Dolls years ago. It does not indicate that a cat is of any known breed to man, so if you see someone advertising that their cats are ACR registered, realize that it is a BYB trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Barb Amalfi
It's a stunning cat, but I agree. It looks to be domestic longhari lynx point mix. I also don't think it's head looks like that of balinese. It's definetly not modern balinese.
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/balinese.html
It also doesn't have a look of a traditional balinese.
http://www.balinesecat.com/faq.htm
The face structure of the pictured cat looks to be like that of a moggy cat.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
anreed said she knew the breeder of the cat in the picture, and that it is a Linx Point Balinese, so I would tend to believe her, since she is a breeder of Old Style Siamese cats. So, I don't think it's a breeder trying to put one over on anyone.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

anreed said she knew the breeder of the cat in the picture, and that it is a Linx Point Balinese, so I would tend to believe her, since she is a breeder of Old Style Siamese cats. So, I don't think it's a breeder trying to put one over on anyone.
It's a very attractive cat, but it's facial structure doesn't look like any pictures of traditional balinese I could find.

anreed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This particular cat is registered as a Javanese...it is basically a "non-traditional" colored Balinese.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, that is the first time I've heard that expression used for that color pattern - lynx point. I was one of the earlier American Curl breeders producing them in colorpoint - usually in the lynx point pattern

cosgeo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 1/2 year old Snow Tiger Lynx Point Siamese......I did not realise that they are rare.