Sniffing, licking, pacing?

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the past couple of days, Lux has been walking around the house sniffing at everything and even licking things, sometimes ending up eating crumbs off the floor. Sometimes he goes around sniffing errant crumbs and eats them. He licked my hand, my leg...cute. Licked my library books, the crevice in the kitchen where crumbs get in...less cute. He seems to not enjoy petting, which he usually does, and very much so...when I started petting his head he actually lifted his paw and backed away a little. He has also been begging, I don't know for what. He's barely interested in play. Seems jumpy, and like he can't relax. He just ambles around the apartment acting like he's looking for food on the ground, even when he hasn't eaten recently.

He also tries to jump up on the counter when I'm cooking for myself, when I'm opening a tin of food. Sometimes he tries to grab treats out of my hand. He sniffs everything every time I open the fridge.

Sometimes he seems to attack himself with grooming. He aggressively goes at his belly, scruff, tail, and hindquarters...the very parts I haven't been able to successfully groom yet. He's a long-haired cat. Given that he tries to smack me with his paw whenever I get near his lower back or side area, it's not happening anytime soon. He seems sensitive about being petted there...and he hesitates when getting down from things that don't require jumping but just stepping down, so to speak. He stumbled walking on a flat surface once, but that may have been due to the awkward footing (he was walking on my desk, which doesn't have much space for him). He has been less active lately. 

A couple of things: I've recently stopped free-feeding him, and of course, Daylight Savings Time just went by. I also locked him out of the bedroom while I slept last night because I got sick of him attacking my feet in my sleep. I might just be anthropomorphizing, but I thought he looked a little sad and confused this morning. Maybe he was just sleepy. One can never know for sure. 

Could any of these things be contributing to this weird behaviour? Something else? Is he just being a cat and I'm reading too far into it? I hope all this info isn't too much. A lot of things have been weird about him lately, even though the vet said everything was fine aside from some constipation. I would appreciate some thoughts. 

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think some of this behavior could be related to stopping free feeding. He may just not be used to scheduled meal times yet. I would keep an eye on him to see if his behavior changes as he gets more adjusted to the new feeding routine. If it doesn't, there may be something else going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! He has been a bit better today.