Sneezing & Coughing But No Other Symptoms

BTFan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a 12 year old male Siamese Flame Point. Since last winter, he's been sneezing excessively. This means he's been having sneezing fits about once a week, where some days he would sneeze up to 10-15 times, and some days nothing at all. He never displayed any other symptoms or discharge whatsoever. Sometimes, he would cough as well (might be wheezing, I'm not sure). I brought him to the vet several times and the only thing he could find was a tooth infection/gingivitis, for which he gave antibiotics each time. This seemed to help but the issue always came back. Once the winter was over, the sneezing pretty much went away.

This winter, it happened again. I brought him to the vet again several times. He got his calcivirus vaccine but that didn't help, so he recommended we get some of his teeth removed. He claimed this was the cause. We did just that and he got 5 teeth removed, but he's STILL sneezing and coughing every few days! His blood test came back perfect, and he NEVER had any other symptoms (i.e. runny nose, discharge, lethargy, lack of appetite). What could this be??? It's driving me crazy that we can't figure this out after a year.

I've been doing SO much research and it seems like allergies mostly cause itchiness, which he never had. Could it be dry air? I couldn't really find any information supporting this online.

Thank you so much for the help!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the allergy affecting his lower respiratory system. Since he is Siamese which are prone to asthma, I would also rule out asthmatic condition (X-ray). Do you by any chance have a humidifier? That might help.
I would also recommend finding a cat only vet, they make such a difference in diagnosis like this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there something in the house, personal products, laundry soaps, spray cleaners, furniture polishes, air fresheners, diffusers...

Not to knock the products but I was given some Aveda products including one of the really fancy, strong smelling soaps. The next day one of the humans in the house and my cat were sneezing like crazy. I bagged the soap and took it out to the garage and they're both ok now :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BTFan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there something in the house, personal products, laundry soaps, spray cleaners, furniture polishes, air fresheners, diffusers...

Not to knock the products but I was given some Aveda products including one of the really fancy, strong smelling soaps. The next day one of the humans in the house and my cat were sneezing like crazy. I bagged the soap and took it out to the garage and they're both ok now :)
I've thought about that but I couldn't find anything. He lives in my room and I use this Dove anti perspirant spray... never use any air fresheners or spray cleaners in this room. I just use a broom and vacuum once a week, change the sheets once a week. I know the humidity % in the room is 10%, but I couldn't find much online that supports that...

BTFan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the litter dusty?
What do you mean by that? It seems a little dusty when I refill it It's been the same kitty litter for years now. This is the one I buy:
PF041.jpg

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought about that but I couldn't find anything. He lives in my room and I use this Dove anti perspirant spray... never use any air fresheners or spray cleaners in this room. I just use a broom and vacuum once a week, change the sheets once a week. I know the humidity % in the room is 10%, but I couldn't find much online that supports that...
10% humidity is super low. When you read about asthma triggers you should find that the dry air can actually cause the attacks.
What is the source of warmth in your room? Do you use tea lights, candles, incense sticks only in the winter?
Aerosols can also be harmful for asthmatic cats but I don’t think you use it in winter only :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you scoop it to clean, lift a scoop full of the litter and let it stream back into the box. Do you see dust? If so, that's what he's dealing with when he covers his business.

I have a clumping litter that I mix with littermaid's walnut, the walnut absorbs the dust. (Walmart has it) or you could look into other types of litter but avoid any made from corn.
If you have a cover on the box you might consider removing it. The covers trap dust even more, and also trap smells that he can't avoid.

BTFan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
10% humidity is super low. When you read about asthma triggers you should find that the dry air can actually cause the attacks.
What is the source of warmth in your room? Do you use tea lights, candles, incense sticks only in the winter?
Aerosols can also be harmful for asthmatic cats but I don’t think you use it in winter only :)
Heating comes from a central system. I live in Montreal, Canada so temperatures in the winter are mostly -10 to -15 degrees Celsius. I will try the humidifier I guess. I don’t use any of those things you mentioned though.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heating comes from a central system. I live in Montreal, Canada so temperatures in the winter are mostly -10 to -15 degrees Celsius. I will try the humidifier I guess. I don’t use any of those things you mentioned though.
In the meantime you can cover the radiator with wet towel and see if it helps.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
or put a heat resistant pan of water on the radiator, loaf pans work well for this :)