Sneezing coming & going in my cat!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she defiantly has a plan so that makes me feel so much better instead of countless vet visits & no real explanation. She came out when I went to pick up the medicine (which she gave in pill form thank god) & explained everything. At our last vet the vet techs were giving antibiotics information & he was always too busy to come talk. So far today we haven’t had any sneezing still she is actually running around like crazy today because it’s a bit warmer so she is on the porch. I’m so glad I made the terrifying decision to seek another vet out!
I'm glad you made that decision, too! It's so nice to have a vet who's part of the process. (Which is, of course, the way it should be!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things that CAN contribute to sneezing and coughing are scented litters, dusty litter, household cleaners, candles, etc.

We have one cat with Feline Herpes. Very common with shelter cats. Stress will make it flare up. We have had a lot of success with L-lysine pure powder.
We are going to try dust free litter we are actually going to pick that up today. I got rid of all scented candles, air freshener plug ins. I use Mrs Myers cleaning spray but am going to change to vinegar based cleaners.
The sneezing does seem to be stress induced somewhat because after she got back from the vet she started sneezing, then last night when we tried to give her the medicine she began sneezing. This morning I decided to not crush the pill up & just throw it in while she was eating her wet food which was a success!! After she was done eating she had a sneezing fit but now her discharge is clear not white yellow so there was no stress involved so I’m confused! We are doing powder lysine every morning we only do wet food in the am so I ordered lysine treats for evening time.

How did the diagnosis your cat with Feline Herpes?? We have ruled out asthma, Heartworm, Feline aids, leukemia, tumors, tick diseases & I think that is it. The vet says the next step if this medicine doesn’t clear up the URI is to redo the XRays in 3 weeks & then sedate her to get samples from her nose & airways. I hate to sedate her but I know it’s necessary to rule out nasal polyps etc. I’m hoping it doesn’t lead to that but am thankful that this vet is very through & leaving sedation as the last resort not like our previous vet who wanted to sedate for just X Rays!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you made that decision, too! It's so nice to have a vet who's part of the process. (Which is, of course, the way it should be!)
Yes defiantly! I like the fact that she is making time for Lucky too. At our previous vet it was just a in & out kind of deal because he was always so busy. Since they have 8 vets in the practice they actually have time to be through. Today we are back to sneezing fits which frustrates me but I’m not panicking because we ruled out so many things & she is acting completely normal. We are getting the dust free litter today to see if that helps. I’m really hoping to not have to sedate her to do the nasal tests but I feel better that at least we will have run all the tests after that & will have an answer.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m also starting to wonder if maybe she is allergic to this hardball treat that we are giving her it has goji berries & coconut in it. I’m going to discontinue that to see if it works. Her food has been the same for years now (Blue Buffalo Multi cat) & her treats are also Blue Buffalo chicken & trout (our cats get picky so we have a variety) So I don’t think it could be that.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was able to find that kitty litter you recommended at PetSmart & it’s wonderful!! Its’s only 3 dollars more than the litter we currently use plus you get more. My location has big bags of all the varieties. We switched out all the boxes to the new stuff & it was wonderful to not choke on the dust lol. The lysine treats were back in stock so I bought those & she loves them. Weirdly enough there hasn’t been a sneeze since she had one of those treats (I didn’t give her the powder lysine this morning since I was trying to throw the pill in) I’m hoping maybe the litter was the culprit fingers crossed!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to find that kitty litter you recommended at PetSmart & it’s wonderful!! Its’s only 3 dollars more than the litter we currently use plus you get more. My location has big bags of all the varieties. We switched out all the boxes to the new stuff & it was wonderful to not choke on the dust lol. The lysine treats were back in stock so I bought those & she loves them. Weirdly enough there hasn’t been a sneeze since she had one of those treats (I didn’t give her the powder lysine this morning since I was trying to throw the pill in) I’m hoping maybe the litter was the culprit fingers crossed!
I'm glad you like it and hope Lucky does, too! Yes, Dr. Elsey's litter is great stuff for cats and humans. I can't believe how much less dust we have now in the mudroom, where we keep the litter boxes!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you like it and hope Lucky does, too! Yes, Dr. Elsey's litter is great stuff for cats and humans. I can't believe how much less dust we have now in the mudroom, where we keep the litter boxes!
Lucky is a fan of the kitty litter as well as the rest of the cats. I notice that it doesn’t have that litter smell which is nice too!!! As for Lucky she has been sneezing up a storm today ughhhh. We were out for a good portion of the day working & when we got home it was sneeze city. I almost feel like the medicine is making it worse. My only other though was she was in the attic the last 2 days with me when I was taking Christmas stuff up so maybe it’s something in the attic (there is some exposed insulation) so no more going in the attic for her I’m wondering if the insulation has something to do with the sneezing today. Tomorrow we have to travel to a clients home so we will be gone most of the day. I’m a bit worried but she isn’t acting any different so I’m sure she will be fine. I just wish this would all end it’s so stressful

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky is a fan of the kitty litter as well as the rest of the cats. I notice that it doesn’t have that litter smell which is nice too!!! As for Lucky she has been sneezing up a storm today ughhhh. We were out for a good portion of the day working & when we got home it was sneeze city. I almost feel like the medicine is making it worse. My only other though was she was in the attic the last 2 days with me when I was taking Christmas stuff up so maybe it’s something in the attic (there is some exposed insulation) so no more going in the attic for her I’m wondering if the insulation has something to do with the sneezing today. Tomorrow we have to travel to a clients home so we will be gone most of the day. I’m a bit worried but she isn’t acting any different so I’m sure she will be fine. I just wish this would all end it’s so stressful
I bet you're right about the insulation, that stuff can be nasty! I bet she'll be fine but keep keeping an eye on her! It's really hard to get used to thinking of stuff like insulation, paint (we had to do a little painting a few weeks ago, oops), and the like.

And yes, it's so stressful when something's not right.

But I'm glad the cats like the new litter! That stuff is great.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things going?
Well we finished the antibiotics over a week ago & we had a sneezing incident today but it was only 2 & nothing more happened throughout the day. I’m gonna keep an eye & see what happens otherwise she is in great spirits & acting like herself.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! How are things going for you-all?
Hi!!
Things are going okay over here. I think we have a little kitty cold going through the cats because it seems like everyone has a bit of sniffles. It started with our cat Milkshake so we brought her into the vet because her eye was running well 2 days later the other 3 cats have started to sneeze. It’s not bad like it was during Xmas time with Lucky thank god! I’ve still giving her Lysine (and the rest of them) which seemed to help because for 2 months not one single sneeze or cough. We are just keeping an eye on her & all of them & if they stop eating or are not as playful then we will call the vet. As is right now with this virus the vet only wants you to come in if it’s absolutely necessary &you cannot go in the office either. Hopefully it clears up for them! Thanks for checking in!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things going for you-all?
Hi!
Things are going pretty good over here it seems that kitty cold ran it’s course through the cats & wasn’t bad at all. Lucky isn’t sneezing or coughing (thank you Jesus) but I notice she is shaking her head a bit more so we are going to take her in to the vet when quarantine is over to just get them check out & she needs her rabies shot. Her balance seems to be getting a lot better from the vestibular incident I’m still paranoid everyday that there is going to be another incident! How are you guys doing during this time??

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t count how many similar posts I have seen this year. Including my own! I have a Clowder here and several of them had sneezing, nasal discharge and a couple had watery eyes. I took them all to the vet. I’ve dealt with many health conditions but this was coming and going so kind of odd. The vet gave Clindamycin and Hydroxycine. She felt it was allergies. Pollen rates have been very high here along with everything being very wet due to extremely high rainfall/ flooding. Mold and fungals issues everywhere! My FIV ton was shaking his head too. The meds worked and all cats recovered BUT the sneezing returned. Back to meds but added air purifiers. I cleaned everything down with Lysol before it became impossible to get. I use dish liquid for genera cleaning of surfaces and nothing highly scented. I have it filters on all fans bringing air into the house. It seems that if I open windows, the cats sneeze! I already use caution in my house because I have one asthma cat and I have to be on a nebulizero myself so no aerosols or strong aromas of any kind anymore. At this point only one cat still sneezes and the antihistamine is working. I have wondered about viruses but it’s looking more and more like allergens from outside. Maybe air purifiers would help. They did here. Feel better Lucky and all the other kitties having troubles!