Sneezing after vaccinations?

TheOldRagdoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Oscar had his first set of vaccinations yesterday evening. I've noticed this morning he's been sneezing and appears more lethargic than usual. He's usually quite energetic, but the lethargy could also be down to the extreme heat we're having at the moment.

Is it common for something like this to happen after a vaccination? If so, how long does it usually last for?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten Oscar had his first set of vaccinations yesterday evening. I've noticed this morning he's been sneezing and appears more lethargic than usual. He's usually quite energetic, but the lethargy could also be down to the extreme heat we're having at the moment.

Is it common for something like this to happen after a vaccination? If so, how long does it usually last for?
Being somewhat lethargic is normal. If it lasts more than a day or two, I'd call the vet. Unsure about the sneezing. Might be something else in his environment that is causing that. Allergy maybe??

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, being sleepy is common after vaccinations, he should start perking up by the third day. Sneezing may indicate a slight allergy to something in the vaccinations, most likely the preservatives or the stabilizers. My cat had a harder time with the others after vaccinations, he was given Benadryl at the vets a little before his shots and did much better. Benadryl will tire them out too but only lasts for hours. Make sure you bring it up with your vet, a little reaction can turn into a bigger one with repeated exposure.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
During vaccination immune system goes down, so if he had any slight allergy before, the symptoms might get worse while the immune system is not back up yet to the full.

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like an increase in histamine. That would preclude a more serious reaction.

The Benadryl recommendation is one to look into. I'm not sure what product version of Benadryl (or dose) to use...as in tablet, liquigel, pediatric, or some other version....to use is for a cat; ask your vet though. They'd likely know best.

It probably wouldn't hurt to give your vet a call either and ask that question directly (which Benadryl version is safest for a kitty). Even if you're not asking to use it for this time, it would be good information to know for the future.

Please update us all if/when your sweet kitty's status changes. <3

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depending on the type of vaccination he received (modified live vs killed) there can be some transit sneezing associated with modified live vaccines for herpesvirus and calicivirus. As long as he is eating/drinking doesn’t have labored breathing I wouldn’t be too concerned. You can call your vet so next time maybe he can be pre-medicated or the vaccinations can be split apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheOldRagdoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your advice! Oscar is still sneezing a bit today, but is much more his usual energetic self. His appetite is as big as ever - if he's anything like his dad, not eating would be a sure sign something is wrong!

I'll keep an eye on him and if the sneezing doesn't subside I'll give the vet a call later in the week.