Sneakers escaped this morning

Gwenj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m new to CatSite. Not sure how to word this but I will try. This morning our feral kitty “Sneakers” ran out the door. I trapped her a year ago when she was about 6 months old. She was part of a colony of cats that I feed. She was wild then and 12 months later she is still wild and no matter how much attention and love she has received, she has never warmed to humans and we tried everything. i Have spent the morning recording cat cries of her brother that she adores and always runs to when she hears him crying. I have walked the neighborhood playing these, searched everywhere and called her name over and over. I am heartbroken and wonder if anyone has any advice
That may help me find Sneaks. I’m going to set out a trap although the weather here is not cat friendly, especially according to next week forecast.
I still care for colony.Could she try to reunite with them or has it been too long.? I don’t want to think she would be so afraid she would hole up somewhere and die from starvation or the elements. Thank you for any advice.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try putting her litterbox outside for awhile and possibly something you normally wear that smells like you. It can help to guide her back home. Even though she may seem like she hasn't warmed to humans, it's possible she has warmed to you in her own way that isn't obvious to you. Good luck! Please keep us updated.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep a box by the door for her to hide in. Often they come to the door when no one is out but then must return to their hiding space.

You can also set up a baby monitor or motion camera at the door.

Even if she doesn't like the human aspect, she may still appreciate being indoors with her fur-family and return. ❣ It's okay if she never likes being petted, etc. She might just prefer her animal family members.

On the lost and found group, a lot of people state that routine is best. Go out at the same times each day to call for her and shake a treat bag etc. (Or play her brother crying like you have been)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gwenj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep a box by the door for her to hide in. Often they come to the door when no one is out but then must return to their hiding space.

You can also set up a baby monitor or motion camera at the door.

Even if she doesn't like the human aspect, she may still appreciate being indoors with her fur-family and return. ❣ It's okay if she never likes being petted, etc. She might just prefer her animal family members.

On the lost and found group, a lot of people state that routine is best. Go out at the same times each day to call for her and shake a treat bag etc. (Or play her brother crying like you have been)
Thank you for the information. I will do this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gwenj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try putting her litterbox outside for awhile and possibly something you normally wear that smells like you. It can help to guide her back home. Even though she may seem like she hasn't warmed to humans, it's possible she has warmed to you in her own way that isn't obvious to you. Good luck! Please keep us updated.
Thank you. I’m grateful for any ideas.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Read through this thread to see if there are things in it that might apply: Tips for finding a lost cat

I sure hope you find her. Hope is not lost. One of mine went out the door and was gone for a very long time. I actually gave up on ever finding her after spending weeks and weeks going out mornings and evenings searching. Then one day, poof, there she was, right next door under our neighbors porch. And she still would not come to me when I approached. She was terrified! We had to prod her out with a pole. But once we got her to safety, she never ever approached the front door again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there. We've seen cats gone for months who came home safely, a bit bedraggled, but safely!

If you spot her, do not move towards her. Sit down, shake a bag of treats, and speak gently to her. After being out like this, she'll spook very easily.