Snakes v Cats

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone have garter snakes at their house? Our past boy (RIP) had many run ins with them. I was so stressed when I'd find him playing with one. Worried he'd get bitten and come to find out - also the snake musk! Several ended up in the house even. When the snakes were maimed we'd end their misery. We thought they were gone as we haven't seen any in a couple of years. Just saw one this evening. I don't want our new, young cat to get ANY ideas. He's quite wild so I can imagine he'd be very excited about them. Anyone have thoughts to keep the snakes away? Ugh... I feel like it just a matter of time as most snake deterrents aren't all that effective.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Garter snakes are non-venomous and are actually a natural prey to cats. A lot of cats will play with them. I would just suggest keeping your cat indoors. If you want to give your cat outdoor time you could harness and leash training your cat to go on walks or get a catio.
We have them where I live I have only ever encountered one inside quite a few years ago. I just got it and put it outside.
I don't do anything to garter snakes because they are actually beneficial to have around..

That being said here are a couple links that might help to rid them from your yard

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep your cats inside and they won't be able to kill the natural wildlife. A garter snake is completely harmless to a cat, it's clearly the cats who are the dangerous ones here and allowing domestic pets to kill wildlife is not ok.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone have garter snakes at their house? Our past boy (RIP) had many run ins with them. I was so stressed when I'd find him playing with one. Worried he'd get bitten and come to find out - also the snake musk! Several ended up in the house even. When the snakes were maimed we'd end their misery. We thought they were gone as we haven't seen any in a couple of years. Just saw one this evening. I don't want our new, young cat to get ANY ideas. He's quite wild so I can imagine he'd be very excited about them. Anyone have thoughts to keep the snakes away? Ugh... I feel like it just a matter of time as most snake deterrents aren't all that effective.
Yes, I e found the skin of a snake in our cellar several years ago and just a few months ago I found a small baby snake caught in a spider web in out cellar (still alive). They creep me out…are there any bombs/sprays to use in a cellar?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I certainly don't want to kill them, just keep them out of our yard. And as Babypaws Babypaws says - out of her basement. 😆