Smudge, my little Siamese imposter

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. He can surely get job as stand in for an old type siamese... Perhaps even he will get the job for real, as a old type siamese.

I know there are still some breeders whom are breeding and participatin in shows for the love of the breed... They wont get no
titles, because the modern standard is different, but they are allowed to participate.

What is his story? Is there any proof he comes from an recognized breeder`??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. He can surely get job as stand in for an old type siamese... Perhaps even he will get the job for real, as a old type siamese.

I know there are still some breeders whom are breeding and participatin in shows for the love of the breed... They wont get no
titles, because the modern standard is different, but they are allowed to participate.

What is his story? Is there any proof he comes from an recognized breeder`??
Hi! So we adopted two beautiful Tonkinese girls from PetFinder. We weren’t told that they were sickly. But we fell in love. After 4 months we lost our beautiful Freya to what the vets felt was an inoperable birth defect. Tessa is still with us, and struggles with her asthma that thankfully is managed with inhalers. I do feel we were meant to find our girls and give them love.
Tessa became quite clingy and lonely. She’s a strong personality and vet suggested a younger boy cat might be best. I looked again on PetFinder, but for a mix. I waited and waited until I found a kitty I thought would be a good fit for Tessa. A little “Siamese mix” kitten, local, popped up. We were told he had 12 applicants in one day!!! Thankfully the rescue felt our family, and Tessa, would be a good family for Smudge. I quickly learned why so many Siamese cat ads say “experienced Siamese owner preferred”. He’s super sweet, but also smart and kinda crazy. He and Tessa make quite a pair!
Smudge sure does look and act Siamese. But his mom was dropped off, pregnant, on a vets doorstep. No one really knows where she came from. I was never told that she was Siamese. I’ve seen pictures of his brother and sister. His brother is solid black and his sister is calico.
My youngest son looks exactly like my grandpa. Maybe Smudge looks like one of his grandpas? 🤣
Sometimes I think he thinks he’s a doggie. He almost always answers me when I call for him or speak to him, and he follows me everywhere 💗 I think he looked even more Siamese as a baby, but he has darkened as he’s gotten older
IMG_0141.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx for telling!

Re Smudge... He is seal point, domestic shorthair. And yeah, its natural for him to darken up with time.
The most probable is, neither momma nor daddy are points, but both are carriers of the point gene...
In such a situation, ablut 1/4 of the kittens will be pointed "siamese-mixes".

As he behaves so much siamese, we may guess the siamese ancestors arent far away... MAY be granddads, if they are old type. :)

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tx for telling!

Re Smudge... He is seal point, domestic shorthair. And yeah, its natural for him to darken up with time.
The most probable is, neither momma nor daddy are points, but both are carriers of the point gene...
In such a situation, ablut 1/4 of the kittens will be pointed "siamese-mixes".

As he behaves so much siamese, we may guess the siamese ancestors arent far away... MAY be granddads, if they are old type. :)
Thanks! Speaking of points, I can never tell. I think my vet said he would be chocolate or seal but she wasn’t sure at the time.
I’d love to know what point Tessa is and what my beautiful Freya was. Would you mind giving me your opinion? I’ll attach their pictures. Thanks! (The darker kitty was my little Freya. Tessa is the lighter kitty).
IMG_9952.jpeg
IMG_0027.jpeg
IMG_9837.jpeg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I want to add to this thread is that I LOVE talkative cats. My 10-year-old male DSH, Willy, has talked constantly his whole life.

It's so funny, and I have actually learned what he means at this point with certain trills and chirrups.

They know exactly what they are saying to us, probably better than we understand.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It dawns on me, buth are NOT siamese points, but burmeses...

Freya could be seen as a seal point, with her blue eyes... Possibly a combo of the point and burmes genes...

But Tessa is blue and visibly NOT a siamese type point, although she too has good blue eyes.

so, both must be described as sooner burmese points...
its Not common with burmese points whom have blue eyes, so they MAY bee such a burmese - siamese mix...
Still, the overall description is burmese (look alike)...

Also, Freyas face looks are consistent with having a near burmese ancestry...

Its possible Freya shall not be described as seal, they have somewhat other labels among the burmeses.
Im not expert on burmeses, Mink?
but for all practical purposes, you do have / had two beautiful burmeses...

The blue eyes arent common in burmese, but here you have two rare gems. :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. tjhe darker Freya will perhaps be descipted as mink colored, its a term used for burmas and burma-siamese combos.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He’s not a purebred but a DSH, but golly is my Smudgie photogenic. 😊 And he loves to have his picture taken. He’s sweet but naughty and he talks CONSTANTLY.
If there were a famous Siamese cat actor, Smudge could be his stunt double. 🤣🤣

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All your kitties are gorgeous ❤ Smudge def can pass for a traditional siamese seal point type. Agree Freya looks burmese ish.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He may not be a pedigree cat, but you could have fooled me. Other than a slightly chunkier build and rounder eyes, he's a dead ringer for my female old style Siamese (she passed away in 2018, RIP). Here's the best picture I could find of her on the spur of the moment:

2017-07-008_resize.JPG

If I ever get a Siamese again, one that looked like Smudge would be what I'd look out for. Much healthier and nicer looking than the modern Western show standard version, IMHO.