Smoky Black Cat - I Think He Is A Maine Coon?

Ms. Snarls

Guardian of Mr. Mitch Snarls
Kitten
Purraise
I have been Mitch's guardian for two months now, he is just over 5 months old now and weighs about 5.5 pounds. Personality-wise, he lovesssss attention and following me around, very active/curious/playful, and also a thinker. I constantly see the wheels in his brain turning before he decides to jump places or do things. I kind of feel like I hit the cat lottery, he's very easy going (until you get distracted and aren't giving him enough attention haha).

He has long-ish hair that is GORGEOUS! I'm obsessed with his coloring. He changes color depending on the lighting. Sometimes he looks pure black, but in the light he has white eyebrows, a silver-y belly, and a practically brown mane.

His litter was all dark cats like him and one white cat! Not sure if that helps, I'm just kind of curious if anyone has any guesses on his breeding. Thanks!
IMG-1369.jpg
IMG-1284(1).jpg
unnamed2.jpg
IMG-1120(1).JPG

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks like a beautiful black domestic longhair! I'm not seeing Maine Coon in him specifically. Note that almost all cats are simply domestic cats without specific breeds in their ancestry.

Longhaired black cats will often have that sort of complex smoky color in their coat, especially when they still have a fuzzy "kitten coat." As his adult coat comes in, I expect that you will see more of the shiny solid black guard hairs coming in.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not seeing any Maine Coon either and you cannot go on personality for cats as they are so affected by their upbringing and experiences and all so drastically different. Black Domestic Longhair, and super cute!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s so handsome! I would describe him as a black Domestic Longhair. Maine Coons have a more square face, broader muzzle, and a longer, more shaggy coat.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hes a handsome young cat.

What do you mean...guardian...arent you keeping him?

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I found an abandoned kitty and thought maine coon too. I did loads of research to try and figure him out. Personally don't see much maine coon in your little guy but he is gorgeous! Also I just weighed my Tiger who is also a tiny bit over 5 months old and he is 9lbs (and very lean) - so we def think he's maine coon!

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ms snarls
Beautiful cat:lovecat2:
He could have Maine Coon in him. Long haired cats have common ancestry, modern Maine Coons have been bred for more extreme faces.