"Smoke" tabby kitten?

taylorel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Moe! He came from a litter of 6 kittens, 2 of which are almost identical to him, there were also 2 silver tabbies in the litter, an orange tabby, and mom is a brown tabby herself. All of the kittens seem to have short hair besides Moe and the two that look just like him, their fur is noticeably longer and "fluffier." I was curious if it's too early to tell whether he will be long or medium-haired, or if he's simply fluffier than his tabby siblings. Another thing, I have read about smoke cats and I although I have googled about it I can't seem to decide whether I could actually consider him one or not. He is dark gray/black but has a silver (almost white) undercoat! It's very noticeable when he runs and plays as well. Opinions? (It doesn't matter, of course, I adore him! I'm just genuinely curious!)

Last edited by a moderator:

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I don't know but he is too adorable for words!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as if the dad was medium- or longhair, and the shorthaired mom is a carrier of that gene...

I guess both parents are carriers of the smoke gene.   I cant really the heredity of that gene, but my guess its a recessive gene.

Momma is either a doubled tabby (homozygot) or both parents are tabbies, because all kittens are tabbies...

jason24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten that looks just like yours. Do you have any new pictures of him?