Smelly Kitten Bum?

kiki39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could the smell be from the anal glands?

I have a 5-month-old female kitten. I adopted her in June when she was approximately 2 months old. Her rear end smelled bad at that time, it was like a poop smell but not exactly. It was not like the diarrhea poop smell. My kitten’s butt was also totally clean, nothing stuck, no discharge. Her stool has been good, a little bit on the harder side (typical raw fed cat’s stool). I used baby wipes a couple of times but ... it didn't help much.

I asked at the vet when we went there for vaccination in mid July. He checked my kitten’s rear end and said the smell was probably from the anal glands but no worry since they were not inflamed or anything. I don't remember when, but after that, the smell somehow got less intense, I think, although I didn’t do anything special. Now I can barely smell it even when I stick my nose to that area really close.

I think it’s still a good idea to ask your vet to check that area if you have a chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha kiki looks cute.

Ok:) I am thinking to switch to raw soon. but since Dobby hasnt got used to wet food yet. So i am not sure if it's a good time to transit to raw now.

kiki39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Changing the diet may or may not help for the butt smell, because my kitten stank for a good 6 weeks at least after the transition. The smell is mostly gone now, but I'm not sure if it is due to her diet. It's probably unrelated. Maybe she started to groom herself more thoroughly.

I still recommend a vet visit for checking the anal glands :)