Smelly Kitten Bum?

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

My Dobby has a SMELLY bum, not very smelly, but definitely it's not clean as AIR.

So is it a problem?

There is no poop sticked around his bum, and the hair around his bum looks clean though.

And his poop looks solid as normal (not watery).

Please give me some suggestions:D

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw, we finally get to see his face! He's such a cutie!

I think it's pretty normal since from your other thread I know you recently started switching foods. I find young kittens have smellier poop, and worse hygiene.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Dobby.  Poor baby is a little stinky, aww.

I'm wondering if the smell is actually from urine?  Dried perhaps and undetectable - I know in my experience when I changed my grown gals food 2 months ago, her urine became smelly, but with a few adjustments and adding water, it seems to have stopped.  And I had to give her a cat bath and she's been non smelly since.

Best of luck with your sweet baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you:D

really? switching food will result in smelly bum? Is it just short time or for a long time?

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure, but it smells like poop lol

I did add some warm water to his canned food. And he usually licked up all sauce/juice/water in his food.

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Updates!

That happened once that Dobby messed around the litter!!

He has a hooded litter box, and there is a litter mat in front of it. He usually made it clean. But this morning, I came out from bathroom, and saw there are some litter on hard floor, and also in my bed. It looks like he ran from litter box fast and directly to my bed, which brought out all those litter.

That's weird for me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep a little broom and dustpan in each location where we have litterboxes.  You can get these in dollar stores,  That helps keep the floors clean.  And for carpets, I have a bagless vacuum with a HEPA filter that keeps the place quite nice.  As for his "problem", there are little towelettes called KittiWipes that you can get at most "pet" stores and online; they're safe for cats and you can clean him up when needed.  Or, moisten tissue and apply a tiny bit of a cruelty-free, natural cleanser (NOT the supermarket/big corporate brands; they are NOT safe and they are very harsh!) to it and wipe him clean.  Best to rinse, too.  He should get the message and clean himself, eventually, as this is something cats normally do.  They are the cleanest beings -- much cleaner than humans! 
 P.S.  He sure is a cutie, by the way! 

Last edited:

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is always clean, except this morning. It looks like he ran out from the litter box very fast (like something scared him?). But I dont know what happened

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If switching foods caused him to have softer stools than usual, that might cause it. They're also not quite as good at staying clean when they're tiny. Definitely temporary unless the food doesn't agree with him.

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I cannot scoop a "full" poop from litter, only some small separated pieces, does it mean, Dobby has bad tummy now?

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's probably a little constipated. Try mixing in a little more water or canned pumpkin.

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I added plenty of water in his food, and his canned food has amount of sauce actually. 

I worry if he has watery poop recently. But he doesnt act weird.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long has his poop been watery? How many times a day does he go? For watery poop I recommend boiling some plain chicken and feeding nothing but this for 24 to 48 hours or until things firm up. If he's going multiple times a day he probably needs to see the vet (and if it's been ongoing for a while again a vet, he might need a short course of antibiotics to get over the issue).

Also check that the diarrhea hasn't only been since you changed his food. If it is it could be that he's sensitive to the food he's eating. Hope he's feeling better soon. He's super cute!

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cannot tell it's watery poop or soft poop:(

what's the different?

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soft poop will be shaped like poop but isn't scooped up clean. Watery poop is just diarrhea... so it'd just be a puddle.

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so what will be a diarrehea like in the litter?

I worry about my Dobby. He looks good, feels hungry as normal (except the first 2 days), and eats as normal, drinks as normal, plays as normal, sleeps as normal. But sometimes I cannot scoop out a POOP look look, (you know, a shape one).

If it's diarrehea and caused by changing his food, how long will this kind of diarrehea last?

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It'll be a puddle on top of the litter. Occasionally is okay, kittens have sensitive stomachs. If it's been liquid for a few days I'd bring him to the vet. Switching wet foods doesn't bother most kitties, it's more switching dry. Did Dobby get dewormed?

rickycheung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't see a puddle on top of the litter. Is it possible for Dobby to cover the puddle?

He has been dewormed. Last week he took the deworned medicined, and did the fecal test. The fecal test came out with the result that Dobby had a low level of XXXXX para.. I dont know what's that. But the vet said it was fine, just to take the medicine for 5 days. Then he should be fine.

Yes, he had dry food before. Then I switched his food to wet food (Weruva). He likes it, and finishes the food every time.

He is 3 month & 1 week old now. 3.2 lbs weight.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine will get diarrhea with any food switch, wet or dry, however it usually only lasts a week at most for a healthy cat. Given the amount of time this has been ongoing I would think taking him to the vet is probably a good idea. It's a good sign that he seems well despite the diarrhea (and yes, he can bury puddles, they will look like flat unformed pats in the litter) but still I think probably needs some attention.