Smelly Cat

musicaldews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found this stray kitten, and decided to keep her in. She's almost 3 months old now. She's active and healthy otherwise, but she has a strange smell. It's not the smell because of her excreta or anything, just a strange smell. I wanted to ask if a sponge bath is the best way out of it? If there are others, could you please suggest? Thank you so much!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bath wouldn't be a bad idea. Use shampoo that says it's safe for kittens. Has she been to the vet for de-worming yet?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's really rare for a kitten to have a strange smell. As Willowy said, a visit to the vet would be a good idea if you haven't already.

Other than that, she could simply have something on her where she cannot reach to wash, and it's a bit smelly.  I bath my cats. 

Just make sure the water is a nice temperature and pop her in.  Kittens normally will handle it if you go about it gently.

curiosityscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Skipping the repeating of what everyone else has said, except the addition that when cats/kittens have worms they often smell 'funny' or 'off' (at least to me), and worms are a very common complaint for kittens that have been outside for any length of time (or are from a shelter). And they often show no personality symptoms, but it depends on the cat/kitten.I have an older cat 21yrs, male, Socks, who has issues grooming himself. He hates bathes, and due to his age, I hate stressing him out, so occasionally I use a product called, Tropiclean it is a cologne for animals ranging from cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, to small animals, etc. (Double check if kitten safe) And it comes in various scents. I like the Baby Powder. There are various products on the market for helping when your pet companion needs a little refresher before company and there is no time for a full on bath (which for me with my boys is a trial, because neither are fans in the remotest sense of the word). Actually, my youngest does a good job and is a clean freak, so I haven't tried to bath him since he was a kitten, WHY? You ask..Well, I prefer my limbs with my skin on them! Remember it is a requirement that I sedate him before I can take him to a Vet (per the Vet, she likes her limbs intact too), so a visit to a Groomer is definitely out of the question for him!.*frowns*..As for Dogs, I used to love a brand called "Baby Dog" (has various scents). Good Luck and I hope the Vet visit finds your new kitten in good health, and if not, then I hope it is something simple to treat and easy on both of you! Best to your entire family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicaldews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, everybody! 

I've been to the vet a couple of times already, and there's nothing wrong with her medically. She loves bathing too! So I guess it's just some strange smell around her. I'll try bathing her with a kitten safe shampoo, I think that should work too.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've had a bit more of a think about this one....  It isn't her breath is it?  From teething?  I've found a kitten can transfer that 'smelly breath' to fur when they wash themselves. 

The only other thing is if her sense of smell is compromised and she doesn't know that she's smelly and so doesn't wash herself.  That would usually be because of congestion, so keep an eye on her for any flu symptoms.

Good luck!

Last edited: