smelly cat bum

gizmoandluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have 5 month old kittens  both girls

both have bin raw fed pretty much from 8 weeks when we adopted them

one has a smelly butt, it went away but appears to have come back,

she likes to climb on me when im on my computer on the sofa and will waft her bum around in my face and there will be this pooey smell its only the one cat

no other symptoms, normal stool butts not red, dosent scoot her bum or pay it any extra attention etc , she just has this wafting smell sometimes, and i think its more than a fart but i dont dare go sniffing around to investigate it

They are house cats and have not yet bin spayed

any ideas about my girls stinky butt ? xxx

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could  be the anal glands. Normally the glands are emptied as the cat poops. But sometimes the glands get full or blocked and need to be manually emptied. Not all cats with full or blocked anal glands will scoot their butt on the lfoor, etc. My Aby doesn't.

When you have the kittens spayed (will that be soon?), ask the vet to check the anal glands and empty them if needed.

I know that worms can sometimes cause a smelly butt.  Have your cats been dewormed in the past? Do you currently use any parasite preventative?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the smell is "pooey" and farty, my suspicion would be that something in her diet isn't agreeing with her. At least that was the case with one of our cats when she was small and liked to shake and waft her fuzzy bum around our faces. Are you feeding your cat commercial raw or homemade? Might there be an ingredient that doesn't agree with the cat?

Edwina's smelliness pretty much went away when we weaned our cats off dry food shortly after adopting them, then took all the potato and grains out of their diets, too. Now that she's on a combination of low-carb raw and canned foods, she only gets occasionally gassy (and it's not nearly as bad!) after certain foods, like one of Tiki's particularly rich Gourmet Carnivore flavors.

Worms and anal glands are definitely worth checking into, though my experience with the anal gland smell in a previous cat was that it's, hmm, more acrid and sharp than farty. But cats do differ!

susiell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my 14 week old kitten.  He's been eating Tiki cat canned food since he arrived, and about a month ago I introduced him (slowly) to commercial frozen raw, which now makes up 1/3 of his daily intake.  All was fine for the first few weeks, and now he stinks and is gassy.  He was checked for worms at 8 weeks (negative), so why would his diet all of a sudden make him smelly and gassy?