Small Red Rash Beneath One Ear

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone--

I have had Juniper for about two and a half months now. She came to us from a shelter spayed with all of her vaccinations and was dewormed. She generally seems pretty healthy
and happy except that I've noticed that she has a small bumpy red rash under her left ear.
There may also be some thinning of her hair underneath, but it's hard to tell.

She does rub her head against pointy furniture, wall corners, etc. but she does this with her
chin, too, and it looks fine. She seems to scratch more than my last cat did, but it's kind of
hard to tell. She doesn't seem bothered by that specific spot, though, and will let us look at
it and touch it without complaining.

I can't get her to stay still long enough to take a picture to post. I did look up common cat
rash causes, and the area isn't round like ringworm spots typically are (and she was dewormed). She also doesn't seem to have dark-colored ear wax, as you'd expect with ear
mites.

Any ideas? We will definitely take her to the vet if the spots don't get better, but I am wondering if anyone on here has experienced anything similar. She's very skittish, and
I'd love to save her the vet visit if possible, especially since she's just now starting to seem
more comfortable and confident with us.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it could possibly be an allergy, to food or something environmental, since other skin issues don’t seem to quite match up. I would highly recommend checking in with your vet, though.

This article: Skin Conditions In Cats will give you more info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks abyeb! Has anyone else had experiences with cat allergies? The article lists a LOT of potential causes, and I'm curious how difficult it is to find the source of the problem.