Small Lump Near Cat’s Tear Duct (photos)

MyCatsEye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve just noticed a small, flesh-coloured (at least, the colour of the flesh around the eye - he’s tabby, so black-ish) lump, around the size of a grain of couscous, next to my 15y/o cat’s tear duct. It’s the first time I’ve seen it, but can’t seem to find any likely causes when I google it.

Photos below (sorry for the bad quality) - has anyone seen anything like this before? I mistook it for a bubble at first, if that helps clarify anything(!) Oh, and the orange/brown discharge is normal for him, no inflammation or unusual weeping.

Of course, I’ll be keeping an eye on it and calling a vet if anything changes.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure what it is. But any time a strange lump or bump shows up, especially with a senior cat i vote not to wait, have a vet check. If it is something bad the sooner you can get it treated the better. Hopefully it is nothing, but i would have it checked out.

Best of luck, and do keep us updated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, boy. This could be anything at all, from a lipona, which is a bit of nothing, to a carcinoma, which is potentially devestating, and only a vet will be able to tell you exactly what you are dealing with. Please do get him checked as soon as you are able. IF it is something serious, the sooner it is diagnosed, the better the chance for a good outcome. And PLEASE come back and let us know what the vet says, and how he is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyCatsEye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: Just got back from the vets. She anaesthetised his eye, poked and prodded the lump with a cotton bud (q-tip) - turns out it’s a wart, of all things! :doh:

It isn’t touching his eyeball, so as long as it stays that way and doesn’t keep growing, there’s no need to do anything with it. Panic over!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you got him checked. Wart? not something i would have thought of either :rolleyes: Glad it is nothing serious!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Somehow, it had escaped my attention that cats can even have warts! THANK GOODNESS it was something so simple!