Small Batch For Dogs And Cats Question

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hiya! I didn't properly introduce myself last week when I posted about my kitten going nuts over his first raw chicken neck, but here I am again. Phil and Artie are happily eating an all-raw diet of frozen and freeze-dried raw food with some goat milk and they've had raw chicken necks twice now. FWIW, the other cat finished his neck yesterday as opposed to staring blankly at it the last time.

I tell myself they're eating a wider variety of foods by eating commercially prepared raw than they would if I were to make it. I wish I were feeding them homemade raw food, but I don't have a lot of freezer space, a meat grinder, confidence or - to be brutally honest - desire to make cat food. I'm sure it would be better for them, but I'm not there yet.

Yesterday I tried a new-to-me pet food store. It's a tiny place and they didn't have much raw food at all. I really don't think I'll ever go back there, but I made a "guilt" purchase of the only thing they had, Small Batch Blends Beef for dogs and cats.

I have never fed my four-month-old boys beef, and I have no idea what supplements I would add if were to try it. Any advice regarding the beef and/or the supplements? I've read through the forum and the only posts I saw involved adding other meat to one of them and also supplements to use Dr. Pierson's recipe. Not sure I'm up for that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could use Alnutrin for meat and bone with the Small Batch Blends.

See this this for how to use the Catinfo.org recipe with Small Batch Blends: Smallbatch Brand Raw Food Looks like you just omit the bone meal and liver since the Small Batch already contains those.

Small Batch does make complete balanced raw sliders. No supplementation needed.

A super easy way to turn any meat (no bones or organs) into a complete diet is to use a pre-mix. EZComplete is a popular one and there's also TC Feline and Better In The Raw. Typical instructions are to take 2 lbs of meat, ground or chunked to your cat's preference, add in X amount of pre-mix powder, add in X amount of water, stir to combine, portion out, then feed or freeze for later use. 2 lbs of the mixture doesn't take up much space in the freezer, depending on what size containers or freezer bags you use. You can buy ground boneless meat from a supplier like Hare-Today.com or look for chubs at the independent pet store.

Beef is fine to feed. It has a strong meaty smell which some cats may not like, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holy cow, thank you! For some reason I had it all built up in my mind to be much more complicated than that. Doh!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All but one cat loves beef, and bison in particular.
I have one boy that throws beef up, but he will eat it if given the opportunity.
Another one of ours used to throw up rabbit but apparently grew out of it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hooboy, maybe I'll start with just a bit then. We've been lucky that they have eaten everything we've given them since we switched them to raw.