Small animals + kitten

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have small animals living with their cat? I have gerbils in locked tanks. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping them safe?
I do know cats are natural predators, and maybe I'm worried about nothing, since the tanks lock, but I just wanted to ask if you have any experience.
Also if I get a cat tree how hard would it be to get him to climb that instead of the gerbil tanks?
Thank you.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have gerbils. My previous cat ignored the gerbils. A gerbil could be scurrying across the floor and my cat would watch and couldn't have cared less. My current two cats were kittens at the time of my last pair of gerbils and thought the gerbils were live action furry toys to eat
I kept the gerbil tank in the bedroom and kept the door closed when I wasn't at home. When I was home the cats had free access to the bedroom and did sit on top of the tank and whack the side of the tank. I do have cat trees and plenty of toys for the cats.

My suggestion is to keep the tanks in a room that has a door that can be closed to keep the cats out. Distract the cats with toys as much as possible when they start to bother the gerbils. They may eventually lose interest in the gerbils.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only problem with that is I live in a one bedroom apartment. If I could find a way to get all the tanks in the bedroom I'd be happy. It does make me feel a little better that you said the cats jumped on the tanks and didn't knock them over or break the mesh.Thank you for that. I appreciate hearing your experience.