Small amount of liquid and pus on cats anus - any ideas?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
When I picked Mia up earlier I noticed she had some liquidy poop on her butt. When I looked closer I saw a small drop of pus. Nothing big. I have noticed her grooming a bit, and some marks on the blankets that I've been washing that I just have assumed have been mud from the dogs (not sure if it is or if it is from Mia though) - does anyone know what this could be? Trying to determine if this is a rush to the vet situation or if she can wait until we get paid.

Her stomach looks a little bloated - possibly. She's kind of chunky in the middle so it's hard for me to tell. When I push on it, she doesn't react as if she's in pain, so I don't think she's IN pain. From what I can see she's eating and drinking normally. No real difference in personality or behavior.

Is this emergent?

Malina1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat that had a ruptured anal sac, there was blood/pus and they needed meds to heal up. I never noticed anything with their stomach though. I would definitely check her and call the vet. Hope she gets better soon. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that had a ruptured anal sac, there was blood/pus and they needed meds to heal up. I never noticed anything with their stomach though. I would definitely check her and call the vet. Hope she gets better soon. ❤
Thankfully no blood. It was just a small amount of both liquid and like a drop of pus

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What colour and consistency was the pus? If it was bright green or yellow, and thick or partially solid, then I would be concerned. If it is a browny yellow, runny and has a very strong smell, it could be anal gland fluid. Some cats and dogs need a vet to regularly express their anal glands, especially if they are prone to having softer stool. Firm stool encourages the anal glands to express on their own, though there are other factors that can play into it as well.

Personally, as long as she is acting herself, I wouldn't treat it as an emergency, but as a priority. Anal glands (if that is was it is) can get infected, which requires treatment. I would give your vet a call, and try to book an appointment within the next day or so. Best of luck!

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is Mia spayed? If not this could be pyometria, which is an infection of the uterus. The pus would not be coming from the anus, but close enough that it might be hard to tell.

One of my cats had this and presented the same. Once the Vet opened her up, her tubes were the size of 2 brautworst and about to rupture. Not to scare you, but this is a life threatening condition.

I suggest getting her in to see her VET ASAP if she is not spayed. A quick google of Pyometria will yield lots of results.

Best of luck with your kitty!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
While it is more common for dogs to get impacted anal glands, it can happen in cats. If this is what it is, there is a procedure involved which will cost some money, so I would check this out as soon as you can.