Slowing Down Eating

ldy71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any tips for how I can make one of my kittens eat her wet food at a slower pace? Once it's in her bowl, it's gone within 60 seconds at the most. I've already tried patting it down so she would have to lick it up rather than just munch it up, and it only improved things marginally. She already has bowel issues, and I can't help but feel the speed of her eating is making them worse.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
First question I would have with a kitten who wolfs down their food is whether they are getting enough to eat. In addition to wet food the kitten should have kibble available all the time until they are a year old and their growth has slowed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldy71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First question I would have with a kitten who wolfs down their food is whether they are getting enough to eat. In addition to wet food the kitten should have kibble available all the time until they are a year old and their growth has slowed.
I typically feed them wet food for breakfast, have kibble out all day, and then feed wet food for dinner. I haven't been refilling the kibble after dinner however. That said, she still scarfs down her dinner even though she's had access to kibble and plenty of treats all day.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I only feed wet. My cat Peaches eats fast because she licks up the food. Mushing it down would make it worse. Get a food that has pieces of eat so it takes her longer.
I use dr elseys. Its pate but can be broken up more. Also Canidae with pieces of chicken and duck. Both are only online. You could mixing some tiki for shredded chicken and just add a little bit

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try a big plate or elevated bowl and spread the food around this plate in small bites, so that she even has to change a position to get to the food. That could slow her down a bit.

And if you’re able to, maybe you could feed her more wet? Maybe it’s more satisfying to her than kibble and that’s why she’s over enthusiastic when she eventually gets it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try a big plate or elevated bowl and spread the food around this plate in small bites, so that she even has to change a position to get to the food. That could slow her down a bit.

And if you’re able to, maybe you could feed her more wet? Maybe it’s more satisfying to her than kibble and that’s why she’s over enthusiastic when she eventually gets it.

I bought cute elevated bowls on chewy to slow down her eating

20190818_193111.jpg