Slow cooker help?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, we got a slow cooker last year and have done a lot with stew and chili, but not much else.

I'm cooking a pork roast for the first time. All the meat (pork) recipes seem to say cook on low for 7-9 hours. What happens if I cook it on high instead? The conversion seems to be 2 1/2 hours on low for 1 hour on high. But is the meat tougher or .... ????

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

OK, we got a slow cooker last year and have done a lot with stew and chili, but not much else.

I'm cooking a pork roast for the first time. All the meat (pork) recipes seem to say cook on low for 7-9 hours. What happens if I cook it on high instead? The conversion seems to be 2 1/2 hours on low for 1 hour on high. But is the meat tougher or .... ????
No the meat shouldn't be any tougher. Maybe a little browner on the bottom? I would say 4 -5 hours on high, just make sure there is liquid. (apple cider is good for pork roast!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks!!!!!

Actually, the bottom is lined with acorn squash, sweet potatoes and an onion and a little garlic. I browned the roast before putting it in the slow cooker. The sauce is apple butter with horseradish and a bunch of spices. I didn't have horseradish or allspice, so I substituted wasabi, and for the allspice, I substituted cinnamon, ginger, and cloves (in smaller amounts to get to the teaspoon of allspice). I'm not much of a cook, but with internet help, maybe it'll be edible.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I often do, is cook it for the recommended time on high (per how many lbs I have), then turn it down and let it cook a little longer on low. The main reason for this is because it keeps it nice and hot until DH gets home and softens the meat a bit more.

So you've never had one until now? And you're in an RV? I thought that would have been the first thing you'd pick out after you had bought the RV.
Do you have an electric roaster, yet? If not, you should get a smaller one that will fit your counter space (I don't have a lot of that myself, either) and get one while they're on sale - I actually suggest that to everyone on here.
You get the ease of a crock pot, but more versatility as it can be used more like an oven. Which I like since I have a tiny electric oven..

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Thanks!!!!!

Actually, the bottom is lined with acorn squash, sweet potatoes and an onion and a little garlic. I browned the roast before putting it in the slow cooker. The sauce is apple butter with horseradish and a bunch of spices. I didn't have horseradish or allspice, so I substituted wasabi, and for the allspice, I substituted cinnamon, ginger, and cloves (in smaller amounts to get to the teaspoon of allspice). I'm not much of a cook, but with internet help, maybe it'll be edible.
Wow, that sounds good! You'll have to report back on how it went!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

What I often do, is cook it for the recommended time on high (per how many lbs I have), then turn it down and let it cook a little longer on low. The main reason for this is because it keeps it nice and hot until DH gets home and softens the meat a bit more.

So you've never had one until now? And you're in an RV? I thought that would have been the first thing you'd pick out after you had bought the RV.
Do you have an electric roaster, yet? If not, you should get a smaller one that will fit your counter space (I don't have a lot of that myself, either) and get one while they're on sale - I actually suggest that to everyone on here.
You get the ease of a crock pot, but more versatility as it can be used more like an oven. Which I like since I have a tiny electric oven..
Gary is an absolutely AMAZING chef. (He really can do everything LOL). But the bar-b-que got the most use. The slow cooker actually takes up a lot of the counter space, and it really heats the place up, so it's only a winter item.

But... he hasn't cooked much the last few years. I'm doing my best to feed us, but he loves cooking and I pretty much hate it.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The meat will still be tender cooked on high, but not as tender. Youll need to up the liquid content of the recipe quite a bit too or it will dry out. I find it a real gamble when trying to save time slow cooking, somethings really dont cook well on high temperatures (like a pork shoulder). What usually does work is to start the meat on high for 1-1.5 hrs, and then drop down to low taking 3 hrs off cook time. If you are talking a nicer piece of pork, like a tenderloin, you can get away with the high setting as the meat is already fairly tender (but again, make sure to have enough moisture in there so it doesnt dry out!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Looks OK. I have a feeling we'll be having this for breakfast.
lol.. breakfast , lunch and dinner
is what I get for like 3 days when I break mine out

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh there's a lot of meals in there. It's just either going to be a REALLY late dinner or we're having the first meal of this concoction for breakfast.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course I read the "slow cooker" tips AFTER putting it all together. I did follow the instructions on the recipe, but apparently the spices are best added later in the cooking.

I also think I put a little too much cayenne in there. I didn't know how to convert wasabi powder into the horseradish I was replacing, so I added a little cayenne for "zip," and we seem to have a touch more than just "zip." At least we like spicy food.
But it seemed like it was missing something (I just tasted it), it needed something a little to offset the bitter (even though it was made primarily with applebutter, and I taste apples)... so I added a little bit of brown sugar.
I'll taste it again in a few.

Wish I had a meat thermometer. I suspect it's done, but I don't want to risk it.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just cooked a large pork roast today. I put it in on low at 8 am and it was very done by 2:30. Pork doesn't hurt to overcook. It fell apart by the time we were ready to eat. I put the roast in with a very large onion quartered, some crushed garlic, a few rosemary leaves. I cooked it covered. You don't need to add any liquid to a pork roast. It will make plenty of juice all by itself.

I sucked up as much juice as I could to make gravy. Served it with mashed potatoes, gravy, applesauce and salad. Delish!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you like Chicago style beefs, here's a slow cooker recipe for you to try:

4 pound beef roast (any kind will do, but find one without a lot of fat)
1 jar pepperocini peppers (buy the pre-sliced kind)
1 can beer (the cheaper the better)
1 package Au Jous mix (find it by McCormick's packaged gravies)
1 large onion, sliced thin
1/2 green pepper sliced (optional)

Place the beef roast, pepperocini peppers and beer into the crock pot and cook on high for about 7-8 hours. Remove the beef from the pot and coursely shred it with 2 forks (leave largeish chunks). Return the shredded beef to the crock pot and then add the Au Jous, onion and green pepper to the crock pot. Cook another hour.

Serve on crusty rolls or slices of french bread.

I just made this yesterday, and we'll get quite a few meals from it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mmmmmmm, sounds good! We'll have to figure out who to give five beers to though.

Well, I had Gary go look at it to tell me if it's done. He said, "Let's eat!" So we had a late dinner. It came out GREAT if I do say so myself.

The recipe called for a cup of chicken stock to be added to the apple butter & such mixture. But Dusty's mom is right - it did NOT need the extra liquid. I don't know what to do with all of it! It did turn into a fabulous gravy - but far more than we'll need for the roast.

This was the recipe I adapted: http://busycooks.about.com/od/fullme...astveggies.htm

I included an onion and some garlic in the center of the potatoes and squash. It did NOT need that much chicken stock, and I did add salt and brown sugar (to taste). In the end I didn't add to much cayenne (I had to substitute for allspice and horseradish).

I'm proud of myself! Not only did I make a meal in a pot by myself, I actually successfully adapted a recipe instead of following one.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...although.... I am thinking that when I make this again, I'll try 1/2 cup of apple juice instead of 1 cup of chicken stock....

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a great dish!

my experience with crock pots is to add more salt than the recipe calls for. and if you have extra liquid leftover, make a soup out of it in the crock with whatever you have on hand and cook on high for maybe two hours before turning down to low and you have another meal. soooo yummy

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

The recipe called for a cup of chicken stock to be added to the apple butter & such mixture. But Dusty's mom is right - it did NOT need the extra liquid. I don't know what to do with all of it! It did turn into a fabulous gravy - but far more than we'll need for the roast
Turn it into a soup or freeze it into smll portions for later ue. I fequently freeze sauces in ice cube trays to add a bit of extra flavour when cooking.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Turn it into a soup or freeze it into smll portions for later ue. I fequently freeze sauces in ice cube trays to add a bit of extra flavour when cooking.
I do that, too. I also freeze iced tea and lemonade in the summer to add those cubes to my beverages instead of regular ice.

I just cook it on low. Usually I'm at work anyway when the crock pot is doing its magic, so low is good. And if I am at home, I'm busy with something else. That's why I like the crock pot so much....you can throw the stuff together and let it do its thing. Life is good!

Here are two good recipes for the crock pot, if anyone is interested. This one would be really nice for the holidays because of the cranberry. Easy, too:

Cranberry Roast Pork

1 large boneless rolled pork loin
1 tsp. dry mustard
16 oz. can jelled cranberry
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice

Place roast in crockpot. Combine other ingredients. Pour over roast. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Remove roast and skim fat from liquid. Remove two cups of the juice (add water if needed). Bring to a boil over medium heat in saucepan.

Combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Use the cornstarch slurry to thicken juice. Pour over pork and serve.

This is a good (and easy) recipe for when you either don't feel like messing around with your grill or it's too cold to grill outside, but you want pulled pork. Slathered with your favorite sauce and with some cole slaw, it's good stuff!

Crock Pot Pulled Pork Sandwiches - makes 10 generous servings

2-1/2 to 3 lb. pork sirloin roast or boneless pork shoulder roast
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin OR chili powder
1/2 cup water
Homemade BBQ sauce (below) OR 3-1/2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
Hamburger buns

Trim fat from pork roast. Cut roast, if necessary, to fit into a 3-1/2 to 4 quart crock pot. Season meat with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and cumin or chili powder. Pour over meat in crock pot. Cover and cook on Low heat 8 to 10 hours or on High heat 4 to 5 hours. Remove meat and discard the cooking liquid.

Using two forks, shred the meat and return the meat to the crock pot. Stir in 2 cups of the BBQ sauce. Cover and cook on High heat 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.

Serve the meat in split hamburger rolls. Pass the remaining BBQ sauce.

Homemade BBQ Sauce

2-1/2 cups ketchup
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. bottled Pickapeppa Sauce or Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use immediately or let it cool. Chill up to 3 days. Makes 3-1/2 cups of sauce.