Slippery elm won't thicken no matter what I do

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't understand what am I doing wrong.
I'm using pure SEB powder, without additives.
I add 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of water, let it soak for a bit, then bring it to a boil, stirring all the time, and let it simmer for a while after it, also stirring all the time. I'm doing it in a metal pan. I end up with a red runny liquid that's nowhere near the consistency it should be. I also tried to let the powder sit in a smaller amount of cold water and then add the rest and boil it. Same results. Tried to microwave it - same. In all the videos I watch people are getting jelly consistency almost immediately, but I don't. Also, they get a light colored goo and mine is red and not thick at all. Any advice?
Can I just give him the powder mixed in to a treat? Must I try to make that syrup? It's just not working

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi -
I use my seb in powder form.

I'm case this helps, here is some information from felinecrf . org. It is mentioned that the author uses just the powder, and there is more information about that on this page of that website;
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Holistic Treatments

Slippery Elm Bark
Loose Powder
Ideally, you want organic or wild-crafted slippery elm bark powder from most good health food shops. See below for sources.

Capsules
If you cannot find loose slippery elm bark, you can usually find capsules in a 350-400mg size. Try to ensure the capsules contain only pure slippery elm bark, no fillers, because it can be virtually impossible to make the syrup recipe from capsules containing anything other than slippery elm bark (it will not thicken).

Unfortunately it is difficult to find capsules that don't contain magnesium stearate because it is a glidant used in the manufacturing process (it helps the powder flow when the capsules are being filled). Magnesium stearate is safe for cats but may affect the thickening of the syrup, though some people have been able to make it successfully from such capsules. There is one US supplier below selling capsules containing slippery elm bark only.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand what am I doing wrong.
I'm using pure SEB powder, without additives.
I add 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of water, let it soak for a bit, then bring it to a boil, stirring all the time, and let it simmer for a while after it, also stirring all the time. I'm doing it in a metal pan. I end up with a red runny liquid that's nowhere near the consistency it should be. I also tried to let the powder sit in a smaller amount of cold water and then add the rest and boil it. Same results. Tried to microwave it - same. In all the videos I watch people are getting jelly consistency almost immediately, but I don't. Also, they get a light colored goo and mine is red and not thick at all. Any advice?
Can I just give him the powder mixed in to a treat? Must I try to make that syrup? It's just not working
I've been using SEB for our cat for several months and also have never been able to get it to thicken to a jelly-like consistency. I use the exact same proportions and methodology as you and the result is slightly thickened... but more liquidy than thickened, if that makes sense. FWIW, I use Celebration Herbals brand, which is pure SEB. And I don't think either one of us is doing anything wrong but I've always wondered if maybe different kinds of SEB powder respond differently to the cooking. (With or without the additives.)

In any case, what I've been brewing up for Edwina has helped her quite a bit over the months even if it's never been very thick: she laps it right up (with a little freeze-dried chicken on top) and it's been a huge help when she wasn't very hungry. She's off SEB right now and taking an ulcer medication (Sucralfate) while we wait for her to get an ultrasound tomorrow.

Good luck! It sounds like Musiaka and Edwina have a lot of the same problems -- particularly stomach acid, which has always been a problem for her -- and I know how hard it can be to try to sort through what helps and what doesn't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using SEB for our cat for several months and also have never been able to get it to thicken to a jelly-like consistency. I use the exact same proportions and methodology as you and the result is slightly thickened... but more liquidy than thickened, if that makes sense. FWIW, I use Celebration Herbals brand, which is pure SEB. And I don't think either one of us is doing anything wrong but I've always wondered if maybe different kinds of SEB powder respond differently to the cooking. (With or without the additives.)

In any case, what I've been brewing up for Edwina has helped her quite a bit over the months even if it's never been very thick: she laps it right up (with a little freeze-dried chicken on top) and it's been a huge help when she wasn't very hungry. She's off SEB right now and taking an ulcer medication (Sucralfate) while we wait for her to get an ultrasound tomorrow.

Good luck! It sounds like Musiaka and Edwina have a lot of the same problems -- particularly stomach acid, which has always been a problem for her -- and I know how hard it can be to try to sort through what helps and what doesn't.
Do you just give Edwina the liquid thing after boiling and simmering it for some minutes? Is yours also red in color? I tried with Wild Harvest and Now Foods SEB and both ended up the same - red and only slightly thickened as you say.
Btw, this is unrelated to SEB, but if Edwina also has issues with stomach acid, has she ever been prescribed metoclopramide? I just heard about it and wonder if I should take it up with our vet

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you just give Edwina the liquid thing after boiling and simmering it for some minutes? Is yours also red in color? I tried with Wild Harvest and Now Foods SEB and both ended up the same - red and only slightly thickened as you say.
Btw, this is unrelated to SEB, but if Edwina also has issues with stomach acid, has she ever been prescribed metoclopramide? I just heard about it and wonder if I should take it up with our vet
I boil up a batch that lasts for four or five days: 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon of SEB powder. Yes, I just boil it up and give it to her, storing the batch in the refrigerator. I wouldn't quite say the liquid is red, though maybe reddish/brownish?

We'd always been able to manage Edwina's stomach acid issues with diet, a nighttime snack, and the overall timing of her meals... but that went out the window in recent months. (Long story short: I had to change diets because the cats got pickier and could never find a good balance again.) Three years ago the vet had mentioned a motility drug (with relatively minimal side effects) that I suspect is metoclopramide. I didn't realize it's helpful for ulcers and acid, too. Edwina goes in for an ultrasound tomorrow and I'm sure we'll discuss further steps including medications. Metoclopramide might be a good possibility for her given that it seems as if the sucralfate she's been taking (since ulcer is one of the possible diagnoses, IBD is another...) for the last couple days might have started to make her not want to eat. She perked up after the first dose but the opposite happened today. I'll let you know what the vet says!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, Musiaka Musiaka , Edwina's ultrasound showed some sort of stomach mass (though ulcer has not been ruled out either -- she needs further diagnostics, hopefully on Monday, to figure out what's happening) so the question of metoclopramide didn't come up. I do suspect that's the drug the vet mentioned (not by name) several years ago, though.

How is Musiaka doing? Better I hope?