Slippery Elm Bark

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone give SEB to a healthy cat as a precautionary measure. Or is it just for times of an upset tummy?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just give it as needed, e.g., diarrhea, constipation, nausea, to help re: hairballs, and mouth inflammation/sores during herpes flare-ups.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will it help eye herpes flares as well? He gets a runny eye sometimes just liquid looks like water and he does have eye herpes.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will it help eye herpes flares as well? He gets a runny eye sometimes just liquid looks like water and he does have eye herpes.
I'm only familiar with the uses per this article about slippery elm. Your vet can best advise for your cat's needs. In our case, Buddy's weepy, blinky eyes are just a symptom of the systemic infection, so upping the dosage of his usual FHV related supplements suffices. But as I understand it, if your cat has an actual infection in his eyes, that's a different ball of wax that requires prescription eye drops (and possibly other meds).

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm only familiar with the uses per this article about slippery elm. Your vet can best advise for your cat's needs. In our case, Buddy's weepy, blinky eyes are just a symptom of the systemic infection, so upping the dosage of his usual FHV related supplements suffices. But as I understand it, if your cat has an actual infection in his eyes, that's a different ball of wax that requires prescription eye drops (and possibly other meds).
Thank you for your reply. His Vet has seen him twice when the eye is running and looked in the eye and could see nothing. He has eye herpes s and it s worse this time of year. Vet said to watch it and if the discharge gets thick and he squints to bring him back in.
I asked about supplements like Lysine but I have read negatives about giving it as well and Vetvthinks it works on the initial flare but not reoccurring.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. His Vet has seen him twice when the eye is running and looked in the eye and could see nothing. He has eye herpes s and it s worse this time of year. Vet said to watch it and if the discharge gets thick and he squints to bring him back in.
I asked about supplements like Lysine but I have read negatives about giving it as well and Vetvthinks it works on the initial flare but not reoccurring.
I've read conflicting info about l-lysine, and although at times it may not seem that it helps Buddy that much for his FHV or FIV, he gets much worse if we don't give it to him. We discussed the info in this thread with our vet, and while giving lactoferrin in addition to the l-lysine doesn't prevent herpes flare-ups in our cat, it does help to lessen the severity and duration. And when you have a cat with multiple health issues, we're profoundly grateful for anything that helps, if even just a little. :)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give SEB daily if you want, or just as needed. It can bulk stool, so just be aware of that.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can give SEB daily if you want, or just as needed. It can bulk stool, so just be aware of that.
I think since he has no underlying disease I will give it on an as needed basis.
Have heard of giving cats Resveratrol ? They make one specifically for cats, Dr Becker s Bites and there is another brand. Any thoughts on that?