Slightly picky eater to very picky (rant)

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little girl has dry food 2 different flavors available at all times, she gets (Sheba) wet canned food twice a day, and a Delectable squeeze up treat from time to time. Well lately she has stuck her nose up at everything but the squeeze treats. She will sit next to me and meow for HOURS!!!!! until I give it to her, and half the time 1 isn't good enough... It does look like this still eats some of her dry food but nothing like she use to. Someone suggested that I try mixing the squeeze and her wet food, that worked for a few times then she went back to sticking her nose up at it. Tired putting the squeeze and canned food next to each other and she only ate the squeeze part... If it wasn't for the price of those treats I might be fine with her living off them but yea... She is getting older so at first I thought the dry food was to much for her but shes still snacking on it, but now wont touch the wet canned food anymore.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you determined there isn’t any medical reason? When was her last checkup and how are her teeth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you determined there isn’t any medical reason? When was her last checkup and how are her teeth?
Looks like her last in visit to the vet was at the end of Feb. Other then the tumor in her stomach the vet said everything was ok. She finally gained back alot of the weight she had lost and I'm worried that just living off the squeeze treats that she will start loosing again.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s enough time for something to be happening w/ her teeth, and possibly the tumor, but, I know how expensive those vet visits can be! I can’t imagine squeeze treats have all the nourishment a cat needs. It is amazing how our furballs can wear us down in order to get what they want. (Lack of sleep can do that to you). How old is she? There are multitudes of brands to try, and I’ve been told wet is better than dry, so, I mean there’s Hill’s, which some cats don’t snub but costs a bundle. My elder statesmen chows down on Purina Pro plan complete essentials, at the moment. If you read through the threads on TCS you’ll find a multitude of folks struggling w this issue…

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s enough time for something to be happening w/ her teeth, and possibly the tumor, but, I know how expensive those vet visits can be! I can’t imagine squeeze treats have all the nourishment a cat needs. It is amazing how our furballs can wear us down in order to get what they want. (Lack of sleep can do that to you). How old is she? There are multitudes of brands to try, and I’ve been told wet is better than dry, so, I mean there’s Hill’s, which some cats don’t snub but costs a bundle. My elder statesmen chows down on a Purina Pro plan complete essentials, at the moment. If you read through the threads on TCS you’ll find a multitude of folks struggling w this issue…
I think the vet paperwork said she was around 14... I know I know how could you NOT know... well she wasn't originally mine. I can't help but have the thought, if it was her teeth, why she wouldn't eat the wet food at all but still snack on the dry.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
14 is of an age where experts suggest cats should be seen by a vet every six months.

Your cat could have a medical issue or simply bored of her food.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Salem was 14 he was diagnosed with kidney failure. He acted the same way. We gave him all the chicken delectables he wanted because we just wanted him to eat anything! Take your cat to the vet. If it is kidney failure ask for anti-nausea medicine…. it will help.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she taking treatment for the tumor?

The tumor could be making her tummy smaller.

Have you tried blending the food and/or heating it up?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she taking treatment for the tumor?

The tumor could be making her tummy smaller.

Have you tried blending the food and/or heating it up?
Yes she takes prednisolone every day. Tried blending, she ate a few bites then wouldn't touch it, tried heating she didn't want it at all. tired putting the canned wet food and squeeze side by side and she would only eat the squeeze.