Slight limp

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm taking him to the vet so no need to say that, but I am baffled by this and see if anyone has a thought or two.

My kitters Sammy has been limping slightly for two days now. Other than that seems fine. I have inspected his paws and felt all parts of his legs to see if he reacted to any part like it was painful, but no. He still wants to jump and run,a lthough I do note he is a little less energetic, I am sure only his Mummy would notice though, it's not that pronounced.

He is 3, neutered etc. It can't be arthritis can it?

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gal was diagnoses with hip dyslpalsia at 1 year old. She takes her pills once a day - but still she has that slight limp and "hitch in her giddy up". They diagnosed it by x-ray of the hip joints.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Talon

My gal was diagnoses with hip dyslpalsia at 1 year old. She takes her pills once a day - but still she has that slight limp and "hitch in her giddy up". They diagnosed it by x-ray of the hip joints.
Wow, so maybe it's a joint thing. I do note he is basically fine but slowing down a bit.

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to sound wild but its true. My cat Katie started limping. She'd limp off and on. Finally she got to where she'd be limping all the time. I thought, like you, that it was probably arthritis. She was an adult stray and we had no idea how old she was.

The vet did his exam and took x-rays. He called a few hours later to say that the x-rays had shown what was causing the limp. She had a sewing needle imbedded in her shoulder! It had been her body so long that removing it required surgery.

Who knows how long it had been in that poor cat or how it even got there in the first place. I still have the needle. I wish I still had her.

Good luck with your trip to the vet. I'm sure the limp your noticing won't be caused by anything quite so dramatic.

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emma's Friend

This is going to sound wild but its true. My cat Katie started limping. She'd limp off and on. Finally she got to where she'd be limping all the time. I thought, like you, that it was probably arthritis. She was an adult stray and we had no idea how old she was.

The vet did his exam and took x-rays. He called a few hours later to say that the x-rays had shown what was causing the limp. She had a sewing needle imbedded in her shoulder! It had been her body so long that removing it required surgery.

Who knows how long it had been in that poor cat or how it even got there in the first place. I still have the needle. I wish I still had her.

Good luck with your trip to the vet. I'm sure the limp your noticing won't be caused by anything quite so dramatic.
Wow, although not completely surprising. I was wondering if he got something lodged in there. Well shall see, I'll tell you guys the outcome.

katson7

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Whiskey had a slight limp and was not as energetic as usual, a bit tired. I also thought he may have hurt his paw or something. When I took him to the vet they did a thorough check-up. They listened to his heart and heard a heart murmur. To cut a long story short, he was diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. The vet told me that limping and tiredness is a common sign for heart problems in cats - blood clots etc.
I'm not saying this is the case with Sammy or trying to frighten you, just to say that sometimes something that seems simple or slight can have a serious outcome. I was totally unprepared and shocked by the diagnosis, as I thought it was just a hurt paw!
Anyway, thats my story

Hope all turns out well with Sammy....and please let us know how it all goes!

prissykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that Marge. I of course think taking the kitty to the vet is a good idea to rule out anything serious. Kitties can sprain their joints just like people can sprain their ankles. I remember Cleo jumped off the TV wrong one time and limped for a few days afterwards. I took her to the vet and they did an x-ray that showed no broken bones, and in a few days she was good as new.

I hope it is nothing serious. Let us know!

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody, I am nervous about it but I will take it a step at a time.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it's nothing serious Marge. Fwiw, my sweet Joshua had limping, that turned out to be from Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex- which my vet told me could be expressed in swollen, sore paw pads(he did not have any raw open or growth type areas). Once we treated him (I think with prednisone) he did not have a return. He did get the more typical expression of this with a swollen chin area several times in his life though.

prissykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, it's nervewracking, and I am always super paranoid about my kitties. Tonight Tinkles has a goopy left eye. It seems it is always something with 7 cats, but it usually something minor, as I hope is the case with your kitty.

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I am nervous but trying to be positive cause on some level I am sure he can sense my state. But he is just not his self, I mean he usually has some 'tude and he is so mellow and sweet, I mean it's adorable but I know it's not him. He was just laying in my arms like a baby earlier, and that would bore him normally!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that has a slight limp. Forgot the technical medical term for it but basically her knee ligiments (sp?) are slightly worn causing her knee to slipslightly. SHe's not in real pain but she takes Consequin(sp?) for cats daily in her food. The vet doesn't want to give her meds for arthritis because of her kidneys.

I hope it isn't something too seriously. Good luck.