Sleeping With Kitten?

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a very affectionate 5 week old rescue kitten. He is about 12 oz, and loves to snuggle and sleep on me. I feel so bad putting him in his cage at night, and I would LOVE to let him sleep with me, but I'm worried that I will roll over or move in some way and hurt him. Anyone have any advice? He's a bit small for his age, but he can climb and walk normally. Thanks!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could get him a snuggle toy to use at night. Kittens usually sleep in a pile to help keep warm. They are so small they can loose heat very fast. A single kitten left by itself can actually die from the cold at night. But that is not the problem you are concerned with. Could you squash it at night? I would say yes, its possible since they are pretty small at the age you mention.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi try a snuggles as suggested. Mine slept with me when I first got her however she was 7 weeks and I stupidly never got her her own bed - now mine is of course hers . I know I don't move much and she used to sleep on the pillow however she now sleeps at the foot of the bed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! When he was littler, he had a fluffy unicorn stuffed animal that he cuddled with. Now that he has gotten bigger, he wants to be with someone and hates to be locked up, he's a sweet little snuggly thing. I actually did sleep with him last night and he was fine, though I slept lightly knowing that he was there. I may move his kennel closer to me and add more fluffy things. :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Sweet Thing had kittens she very quickly got tired of being unable to sleep next to me, so as soon as the kittens were a week old she moved them into my bed. At that age there was a very clear danger of accidentally rolling onto a kitten and smothering it, so I moved the birthing box next to the bed, so that I could hang a hand over the edge of the bed and pet Sweetie, and moved the kittens back where they belonged. Sweet Thing accepted this compromise. Grudgingly, but she accepted it.

How about buying a small cat bed and putting it on your bed, next to where you sleep? If your kitten would be willing to stay in the cat bed that should eliminate the danger without completely excluding the kitten from your bed.

Margret

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about buying a small cat bed and putting it on your bed, next to where you sleep? If your kitten would be willing to stay in the cat bed that should eliminate the danger without completely excluding the kitten from your bed.

Margret
This is exactly what I've done. Granted, my kitten is much older (4 months) , but I put his bed on a stand that's right next to my head where I sleep and he sleeps in his bed right next to me. You might also just give him a little stuffy in his bed to keep him warm.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a very light sleeper. Even when I roll over, I wake up and make sure I can roll over safely (makes for very broken sleep). But even with that, I waited to sleep with my kitties until they were 12 weeks, just to be sure.

sjoh197

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat was a kitten, she was the same. We put a little cat bed in the part of the bed that she liked the most. I was never worried about rolling over on her, as I don't move when sleeping, but was always worried my boyfriend might squish her. It was inconvenient for a time, but she eventually got bigger and the bed hit the floor.