Sleeping Kitties!

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm an amateur photographer and the kitties are my favorite subject, if you couldn't already tell

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Wolfie305, with the number of photos I take I'd call myself an amateur photograpther too (also did pictures for a friend's wedding which was hilarious), but my shots don't come out anything like yours. 
  Cats are my favourite subject too, but sadly Mouse is not keen on being my subject and evades capture where ever possible.

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe it all comes down to not only practice, but the type of camera and lens you're using as well. I have a $700 DSLR (just been using my kit lens though) and it's amazing compared the the general every day cameras I've used in the past.

And then of course knowing how to use the camera in manual is definitely how you get the most out of its capabilities. I only take pictures when I have good, natural lighting in manual mode and NEVER use the flash. And of course, distracting my subjects with a toy right above the camera helps them to look directly at me and be still for a few moments c:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you! I'm an amateur photographer and the kitties are my favorite subject, if you couldn't already tell
Yes! Great pictures!  Me too, but have only had little digital cameras. "One day" I'll get a nicer one w/ more options.  I used to just have a Kodak easy share, & that stopped working last yr. so for Christmas, my parents got me a cannon power shot. So far they have taken pretty good pictures, but it would be interesting to see what I can do w/ a better camera & the know how. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
One of my challenges is living with an indoor cat in an apartment that doesn't get a huge amount of sun and bright light for taking pictures without flash.  I know it might help a bit if I washed the windows occasionally,  but not that much!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe it all comes down to not only practice, but the type of camera and lens you're using as well. I have a $700 DSLR (just been using my kit lens though) and it's amazing compared the the general every day cameras I've used in the past.

And then of course knowing how to use the camera in manual is definitely how you get the most out of its capabilities. I only take pictures when I have good, natural lighting in manual mode and NEVER use the flash. And of course, distracting my subjects with a toy right above the camera helps them to look directly at me and be still for a few moments c:
Don't be afraid of the flash, for example this pic is taken with a flash at very close range (sorry for not being kitty photo):

Here is really helpful video from how to get more out from flash, one can be creative and use similar tricks for pocket camera too!

Author of video (Mike Browne) has ton of nice videos there which should help everyone to get better pictures:
http://www.youtube.com/user/photoexposed/videos

Couple of old lame pics in poor attempt to get back into topic, when I took this I did not know all the tricks I know now, so flash is quite evident in photos, but back then I did already know to turn down power of flash a bit :p

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I avoid it for the most part, but I will use a flash scoop on my camera so I don't get the washed out effect but still get the light :) The flash isn't bad when you have the crazy expensive equipment to work with though (like wedding photographers)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I avoid it for the most part, but I will use a flash scoop on my camera so I don't get the washed out effect but still get the light :) The flash isn't bad when you have the crazy expensive equipment to work with though (like wedding photographers)
After I figured out Rear curtain setting and ability to tone down flash, I started using it more, then after awhile I learned those business card and paper cup tricks to make flash better and I find that it is very usable.

However with cats I too tend to avoid it when they are awake, or I think they are at sleep, but they tend to predict camera and I always end up with pics where they have more or less opened their eyes and I feel bad for waking them up and shooting flash in the process, so usually I don't take much pics when they are sleeping, also they seem not to sleep anymore or at least not to sleep when I'm around :D

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL I love that last one. That's the look Khaleesi gives me whenever I turn the light on in the bedroom while she's sleeping.