Sleeping Behavior

Kentucky Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just noticed that my kitty's tongue is sticking out, just a bit, while in a deep sleep. She is laying on her side when I noticed this. Is that a normal? Also while laying on her side, at the moment, it looks like her breathing is heavy and a little twitchy while watching her abdomen. I gently woke her up and she rearranged her sleeping position into a fetal position. And by watching her belly her breathing seems calm now.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normal deep sleeping kitty. I know Link is deep asleep when his mouth is slightly open, the tongue sticks out and he starts snoring. The fun part is when he wakes up slowly and the tongue is still sticking out with sleeping eyes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just Googled and found this link: Why Do Cats Stick Their Tongues Out? (+ 6 Surprising Cat Tongue Facts)

Here's an excerpt:

"Loosened jaw
This is another common reason for some cats to stick out their tongues – particularly while they’re sleeping. It can also occur when they’ve been sedated. Just like a person would open his/ her mouth during their sleep, your pet’s body can be so relaxed that its jaw will loosen. In such instances, you may spot the tip of the tongue peeking out of the cat’s mouth."

eva adams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is common for some cats to stick out their tongues – particularly while they're sleeping. Just like a person would open his/her mouth during their sleep, your cat's body can be so relaxed that its jaw will loosen. Cats may yawn during sleep, and their tongue will sometimes stay stuck out. Or they may be grooming themselves and quite literally, fall asleep in the middle of it. There are several reasons why this happens, but it's not something I would worry about.