Sleeping Area Has Changed....concern?

Callistorion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just moved my four year old cat about three months ago. Before then, she's always slept on my bed with me. But now she sleeps in"her" room. I have a ceiling fan now that's not on but I think she's afraid of it. The thing is though that she'll cuddle and then leave. So I don't get it. Any thoughts??

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fan may be something new that is scary, but in time, cats can defiinitely take longer then three months to get comfortable in a new home. She is sleeping where she feels safest. In time that may change and she will resume sleeping with you. My cats change their sleeping places regularly, and like said above a lot depends on the season. Don't add to her anxiety by worrying and trying to coax her out of her safe place, everything will work out in time.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Theodore follows me to bed but he will not stay on the bed with me. He is an oddball and lays under the bed! But, when I wake in the wee hours, he is asleep right beside my pillow. This morning I woke with him on one side of my pillow and his fav toy on the other side. It is a wand toy and he drags it wand and all onto the bed now!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats find new 'favorite' sleeping places from time to time, even after obsessing over their old one. Years ago we bought Sir a soft house and sewed his name onto the front of it like a little dog house. He loved it. He would sleep in it ALL the time. And then my niece came along and crowded her tiny self into it with him, scaring the bejeezus out of him. He never slept in it again.

Fast forward three years. The old house has been sitting around gathering dust, but has ALWAYS been accessible to the cats. Reese never touched it...until I put it on top of the bedroom dresser. For some reason she decided that that was HER place, and she's been sleeping in it non stop for the past five months.

Previously she slept smack against my side every single night without fail. (Not gonna lie, it kind of broke my heart)

Sir is also very particular about snuggling. It is reserved strictly for cold weather. Spring and Summer are his 'don't touch me' months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Callistorion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Sounds like I don't need to worry. I think my feelings were just hurt bc she wasn't sleeping with me anymore.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Give her time to adjust. As others mention she might be getting hot or she might be prowling around the home during the night while you sleep also.

I know my Shade will come to bed with me and take a short nap against my leg then he will wander through the house before settling down on my desk to look out the window during the night. Come morning he could be on his tree ledge, on my desk, on my chair, or half a dozen places he feels like napping at.

Noka, on the other hand, will sleep in my son's room almost all night long. She has become very attached to him.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps it's only for a while and then she'll come back into the bed. We've made a lot of changes in our home to separate the cats that suddenly didn't get along. This has made our Bengals change their sleeping spots. Instead of the cat beds they usually would use they are sleeping on a kitchen chair that isn't nearly as soft. Boris has a very thick, warm coat and he prefers the floor on warm summer days. I think it's too hot for him in his usual sleeping spot and maybe the same goes for your cat? If your cat really is afraid of the fan I'm guessing she'll get used to it over time.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just moved my four year old cat about three months ago. Before then, she's always slept on my bed with me. But now she sleeps in"her" room. I have a ceiling fan now that's not on but I think she's afraid of it. The thing is though that she'll cuddle and then leave. So I don't get it. Any thoughts??
Cats (dogs too!) change their sleep habits from time to time. They go to a cooler place, hotter place, quieter space, they sleep in the mornings more, then change it and sleep at nights more, get under beds or desks for darker space (in the wild darker also means cooler. My cat still goes under bed sometimes when the weather is hot.)

Last week alone my cat had a different sleep habit almost every day and normally she stays on the same pattern at least for some weeks. But this time, she waited for a fly she saw in one room at night, another day slept under the wardrobe for a bit then on my bed, last night she kept me up all night going outside and coming inside until like 5am because her BFFs were outside... :sleep2:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper has a routine of sleeping in a series of different places from night to night.

He'll sleep in an upholstered chair, on our bed or in his special cat bed that his Girl-Human made just for him. It varies from night to night.

Then, suddenly, we won't be able to find him in any of his usual sleeping spots and we'll run around the house, looking for him. After several minutes of wondering where the cat went, we'll find him sleeping in a closet, under the sofa or some such place.