Sleep Deprived

cariont

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help! One of my cats has always meowed more than I like, but over the last 6 months his meowing is crazy! He wakes me up every morning around 3 am and won't stop unless I get up. I've tried so many different things! I've tried ignoring him, yelling at him and even squirting him with water. NOTHING, makes him stop unless I get up. He also has started pooping in the floor when things don't go his way or if there is more poo in the litter box than he likes. I clean it at least twice a day sometimes more. He's fixed and declawed, I also have another cat which he gets along fine with. I just don't know what to do! Can anyone help?

Thanks, Carion

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I'm so sorry you're having these issues with your boy. I know how frustrating it can be, especially when you don't know why it's happening.

The first thing to do is get him to the vet for a thorough check-up. Whenever you have a behavioural problem with any animal, it's vital to rule out physical triggers first. This is especially important with cats, as they're masters at hiding pain. Very often, the only pain signal will be the unwanted behaviour.

Getting very active and vocal at night can be a symptom of thyroid issues. Excessive meowing can also be a sign of dementia, and very loud meowing can be a sign of deafness. Any of these are possible, especially if your boy's a senior kitty.

Litterbox avoidance very often has a physical cause too, and is particularly common in declawed cats (due to arthritic and postural changes as a result of the amputations). Other possible causes are constipation or urinary/bladder issues (such as urine crystals or a UTI), or arthritis or other pain, especially in the back, bum and hind legs, making the action of squatting painful). 'Cat logic' is not the same as human logic, and they'll very often link pain when peeing or pooping wit the location (ie the litterbox) rather than the action itself. This will drive them to relieve themselves in other places, in the desperate hope that if they find the right place, it won't hurt anymore.

These articles explain more about the things I've mentioned:-
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night?
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient
When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Declawing - Post-surgery Care And Complications
Arthritis And Joint Pain In Cats
Health Concerns In Aging Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cariont

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all this information! I'll try anything!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know all about sleep deprivation caused by a early-bird cat, but my wake-up call was more like 5 AM, not 3 AM. Obviously you don't stay up for the day at 3 AM. Do you? So what do you do to settle him down?

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
declawed and avoiding the litterbox are signs that he could be having complications from the declawing aswell, so that could be why he wont use the box, his paws are too sore to dig. its very possible the claws could be attempting regrow, it happens which is why so many countries have banned it.

My cat is a quite vocal too but shes more of a talker than a meower like shes letting us know where she is. He could be lonely, bored, chatting with you or if hes an older cat they are susceptible to dementia in old age and that causes excessive meowing.

I would have the vet check his paws though.