Skunks in the cat shed

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope I put this in the right forum. I live in a rural area and have 3 cats (2 were strays and one is the daughter of a stray). They sleep in a large, cluttered, door-less shed, usually in boxes/straw I put in the rafters with a long carpeted ramp leading up there.I give them access to the house during part of the day. Yesterday at dusk I saw two skunks go into the shed. I’m concerned about the cats (and me!) getting sprayed as well as disease including rabies, although the cats had rabies shots last month. I thought about waiting until they come out this evening and shooting them but I read that they often spray when shot. Another alternative is to put maybe a 3’ high piece of plywood at the entrance of the shed where a door used to be as skunks aren’t great climbers but that would probably be a lock out for the cats too unless someone could suggest a skunk-proof entrance that would allow the cats to come and go. Thirdly, maybe I could get a skunk repellent at Lowes but would that also drive the cats away too?
Hoping for some suggestions!
Thanks,
Tom

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shooting the skunks! As someone who loves skunks, I cannot advise that. I have a few that visit my feral houses for food. I have not had an issue with them in the six years we have been in our current house. Call your local wildlife removal agency. The can help relocate the skunks. Get a motion detector light. Skunks shy away from light.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love skunks too!

I'd try the 3' plywood barrier; unless the cats are old or infirm they should be able to jump that easily. Skunks can't jump or climb well, so that should keep them out. You can also put a motion light and/or a radio out there. Cats don't mind lights and noise but skunks might.

Usually cats and skunks get along reasonably well, so unless someone startles the skunks there shouldn't be any spraying.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love skunks too!

I'd try the 3' plywood barrier; unless the cats are old or infirm they should be able to jump that easily. Skunks can't jump or climb well, so that should keep them out. You can also put a motion light and/or a radio out there. Cats don't mind lights and noise but skunks might.

Usually cats and skunks get along reasonably well, so unless someone startles the skunks there shouldn't be any spraying.
I agree! I have watched my feral cats wait for the skunks to finish eating before entering the cat house on our porch.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is not just rural life that includes skunks...I have one who comes up to my back door because he knows that the outdoor feral is fed right before daylight. Supposedly skunks hate after shave, but you have to know that the scent would not drive your cats away as well. I also think that they are gorgeous little animals and I did own a dog years ago who was a little stupid about what the stamping feet meant and walked into it over and over again.

I have not had the one(s) who are around now spray or bother the cats...they do leave each other alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all for the information and good ideas.I decided to put up a baby grate in the doorway rather than the 3' high plywood. Although the grate is only about 2' high the cats can see through it, where they're jumping to, so they might be more apt to jump over.
Also time to de-clutter the shed.
I haven't seen any cat/skunk interaction issues, the cats just observe the skunks from a distance and the skunks walk around looking for insects.in the lawn.Even the dog ignores them. I'm surprised. I thought there would be territorial issues but it's more like seeing horses and cows together grazing in a field, each minding its own business. In fact I was warming up to the idea of just letting 'everybody' move around and be themselves. However the thought of litters of skunks arriving squashes that idea so I'm planning to somehow gently get them relocated.
Thanks again.