Skittish cat

Paul299792458

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 19 years old and is usually a very calm cat. But this evening, he went outside and came back very distressed, with his tail puffed up and meowing. I went to pat him and he was purring but suddenly jumped up and hid under the table. This occurs often. He's now often running away or looking around in a panicked way. He seems to be able to hear just fine. The back of his jead smells like gunpowder (which is odd). Has he had a stroke? Or did he encounter another cat? Has anyone had a similar experience to this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul299792458

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to this site so he is not actually a kitten apologies

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. Makes you wonder whether someone shot at or near him. In this day and age it could be either. I would keep a close eye on him just to make sure he doesn’t have some injuries that aren’t visible.

He most certainly isn’t a kitten but the label is a reference to you and being new or “a kitten” to this site. Given his age though is there anyway to keep him indoors or to build an outdoor enclosure for him? His responses and vision are not what they used to be and having free rein to wander isn’t the best idea for him any more

Paul299792458

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow. Makes you wonder whether someone shot at or near him. In this day and age it could be either. I would keep a close eye on him just to make sure he doesn’t have some injuries that aren’t visible.

He most certainly isn’t a kitten but the label is a reference to you and being new or “a kitten” to this site. Given his age though is there anyway to keep him indoors or to build an outdoor enclosure for him? His responses and vision are not what they used to be and having free rein to wander isn’t the best idea for him any more
Thank you for your response, he is fine now, some yoghurt and cat mint cheered him up enough. He seems more sociable amd less stressed. We try to keep him indoors at night but he often escapes and comes back a little bit later. We found a firecracker outside so we asked the neighbour, it turns it was the neighbour's son who threw it at him. We warned that if it happens again, we would press animal cruelty charges.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edited: just saw last post. Sounds like you have it handled, at least for now. Little *&^! is likely to be a problem going forward in life, for animals or others, but hopefully he won't be your problem at least.

I agree with the way you handled it, but I'd check if it was a M80 or similar, and if it was an M80 then I would at least consider going back on what I told the neighbor and turning him in. If it was a M80, then the little *&^!er tried to kill your cat.

Paul299792458

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
More likely to be some type of dementia than a stroke. With a bad stroke you would see neuromuscular symptoms like inability to move one side of the face or altered gait. But if you are lucky, something scared the crap outside of him outside. I seriously doubt it was a gunshot, but another animal would do the trick.

Still, a senior cat with suddenly and sharply altered behaviors, you are generally supposed to get a vet check. Now granted, they are highly likely to want you to pay for a senior blood panel, at a minimum, and if you aren't willing to do that, I might just monitor the cat.
Thank you for your response, the issue has been resolved. It was a firecracker that spooked him from the neighbour's son. We warned to press animal cruelty charges next time. And he is feeling much better now

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across this post now. Your poor, poor kitty. So glad he recovered from his fright, and that he wasn't hurt. What a terrible thing for that kid to do. Fingers crossed that the neighbour has a good talk with the kid and nothing like that ever happens again to your kitty, or any animal. :sigh:
Welcome to TCS, btw. Your kitty is a cutie pie. :purr:

Paul299792458

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Edited: just saw last post. Sounds like you have it handled, at least for now. Little *&^! is likely to be a problem going forward in life, for animals or others, but hopefully he won't be your problem at least.

I agree with the way you handled it, but I'd check if it was a M80 or similar, and if it was an M80 then I would at least consider going back on what I told the neighbor and turning him in. If it was a M80, then the little *&^!er tried to kill your cat.
It wasn't an M80, it was just a party firecracker, but it still freaked him nonetheless

Paul299792458

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just came across this post now. Your poor, poor kitty. So glad he recovered from his fright, and that he wasn't hurt. What a terrible thing for that kid to do. Fingers crossed that the neighbour has a good talk with the kid and nothing like that ever happens again to your kitty, or any animal. :sigh:
Welcome to TCS, btw. Your kitty is a cutie pie. :purr:
Thanks very much. Good to see so many people willing to help out at a moment's notice :)