Skin problem

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I will need to get to the vet again. Rysiek had a successful ear treatment using ear drops Aurimic. He completed treatment last week. Since then he has developed a skin condition close to his both ears, I was hoping it would go away, used something called Anicura cat gel, but with no healing. He does scratch it...
Booked appointment for tomorrow. Bit concerned as last time when he got depo medrol he was very lethargic afterwards...
But I think he needs to be seen...I will ask to cut his back claws, so he does not scratch so badly.
He has been otherwise his usual self, no shaking head anymore, but I think ear drops irritated his skin and he may be having some allergy

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, am I reading it right that this is the outside of his ears? Can you dab on some chamomile tea? It's anti fungal, anti bacterial, will ease the itch and is safe if he ingests it. (Store bought only, garden grown isn't safe for cats.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible that he is somewhat allergic to the Aurimic, maybe? Or there is still something going with his ears, and he is scratching them to the point of irritating the skin. Either way, if you think depo medrol makes him lethargic, ask for another anti-inflammatory instead.

The chamomile tea, as mentioned above, is a good interim home remedy but take a pic first before applying it to show the vet in case the tea starts to help clear it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is not scratching badly, so I think it is better to use nothing until the visit.
I was using some gel, but stopped as well...
I want them to see it ..

This seems just outside. Before, he was shaking his head and scratching, but it was more internal...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, am I reading it right that this is the outside of his ears? Can you dab on some chamomile tea? It's anti fungal, anti bacterial, will ease the itch and is safe if he ingests it. (Store bought only, garden grown isn't safe for cats.)
It is a good idea, I will try after visiting vet. I have some at home, as I drink it every evening!

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet checked him out, and it looks only external, irritation from ear drops. He got a short acting steroid this time and his back claws clipped...
Hopefully, he will heal now...

The vet also told me that cats do not like any sticky gel on their fur and then scratch even more...so I may have aggravated it a bit, not knowing and using something I was hoping would be good...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We ended up at the vet surgery again today. He had acted as if in pain and scratching a lot...
The vet looked at his skin around ears and siad it is a skin infection...
He got an injection of antibiotics (convenia) and painkillers (loxicom). + More loxicom for few days at home...Also Nutrocoat capsules...https://www.nutravet.co.uk/product/nutracoat/
He is sleeping now, as it was yet another stressful day...the surgery was full of dogs...
But the Vet was really nice and calming...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is still scratching, I wonder if it would be all right to put a bit of hydrocortisone on the bald patches, close to his ears?
Cannot take a photo at the moment, as he is asleep, and I do not want to wake him up...there is no crusty skin or any discharge, just looks really dry...
I have follow up in two weeks...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd call the vet, since they have seen him, and ask what topical you could use to help with the itchiness. You could also ask about the chamomile tea if the vet doesn't recommend something else.