Skin Irritation...any Ideas What This Is?

kzee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two days ago, I noticed a spot on my cat's neck that has me concerned. She is an indoor-only tabby, approximately 8 yrs old. The spot is pink and raised with a scab in the middle. It is more raised today than it was 2 days ago. There is no puss. She does scratch at it. We got a new kitten about 2 weeks ago. He has been checked and pronounced healthy by the vet...no fleas, etc. I mention this because I read that stress can cause skin problems.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. What are the names of your cats?

Even if this started after you added the kitten to your family it could be unrelated. Check the rest of her fur to see if it popped up anywhere else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kzee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. What are the names of your cats?

Even if this started after you added the kitten to your family it could be unrelated. Check the rest of her fur to see if it popped up anywhere else.
Thank you for the welcome and your reply! Collette is the 8 yr. old and Colton is the new kitty. We did a thorough check of her from head to toe and she has just the one spot.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Good, so it is not something that spreads all over. When did this start?

kzee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I discovered it Wednesday but don't know exactly when it started.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would take her to the Vet. It could be a ton of things: ringworm, stress induced from the new kitten, an allergy to food, or even a botfly.

It is good that she is an indoor only cat; however, it is always best to see a Vet, when in doubt, especially if it is bothering your baby.

If your baby is really being bothered by this you could; As @Mamanyt1953 always suggests: until the Vet appointment, you can try making a cup of chamomile tea--the generic type, as German Chamomile is poisonous to cats-- and tab a bit on with a piece of cotton.

Good luck.. and Welcome to TCS....

kzee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the welcome and your reply!
Yes, we will take her in to the vet next week if it doesn't heal on it's own. Interesting about the tea and very good to know!