Skin cancer in 12 yo white cat?

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Luna is a 1 year feline injection site sarcoma surviver and now this: I noticed it especially this week after taking her photo. She was just at vet 2 months ago and he didn’t see it but now I’m looking at past photos and seeing it was lighter but there before this week. She has appt in 2 days. I’m going nuts checking internet whether it’s squamous cell or Basel cell cancer. She is acting fine but so was she when she had that aggressive lump a year ago. She loved the sun and bathes in it daily on her cat tower.
Any positive thoughts ? 434ECA77-F4B1-487E-863A-E5A8C8BF2255.jpeg B2B3931A-B29B-4AB6-B4A2-4F0D5924D54B.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad to see Luna will be seen by the vet. I would guess they might do a skin scraping to test the cells, and will then have a better idea whether it even is cancer, and if so, what type.

Even if it isn't cancer, you might want to look into SPF protective screening for the window by her cat tower. There are all kinds that can block UVA and UVB rays but still let light in.

Please keep us posted!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Does it look cancerous to you? What sunscreen? My heart tells me cancer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. Does it look cancerous to you? What sunscreen? My heart tells me cancer.
I wish I could tell you what it actually looks like, but I can't. It could be cancer, or maybe some other skin irritation due to a whole host of other things. The thing is, even if it is cancerous, there are ways to remove it - so, don't go crazy with worry until you see the vet. After all, you worrying won't change the outcome, but could stress her out and she doesn't need that! :hugs:

Here is an article about window film that might give you an idea on some options for sun protection.
Not All UV Rays Stay Outside: How Window Film Can Help Protect You - The Skin Cancer Foundation

Edit: My husband has had a host of squamous cell cancers on his skin - he has even had one bout with melanoma - all have been taken care of with relative ease. It is doable!!!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I was interested in what skin cancer actually looks like on a cat's nose so I googled some images. It seems to be a clutter of dark spots, and like with us, it can open up and bleed.

I am hoping for the best with Luna's vet visit, and I also hope that you keep us updated.

1573080955605.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet took one look and said acne. Ok. Relief. Luna too was so relieved she promptly threw up. I do wish he took a scraping just in case. Or at least looked in her mouth or listened to her heart, etc. I will have to trust his judgment and just continue to check her for lumps so there is no return of her sarcoma.
thank you all so much