SIZE MATTERS (treats)

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ISO of a larger soft or filled chew that is low in protein.

my ckd cat, like ALL cats loves treats.
I have given her Temptations,Orijen,Blue Wilderness,Greenies, Churu and Kittles.
Her favorites are Churu and Greenies.

I find that some, even though healthy for normal cats are bad for ckd cats because of the high protein, like the raw freeze dried ones.
But as for Temptations and some of the others, SIZE MATTERS, as the saying goes.

What is the benefit of a tasty filled treat like Temptations if they don;t chew it? Or a Greenies Smartbites that is so small they don't taste the filling inside..just grab it up and down the hatch?!
!!!!!!!!!
OK, so don;t laugh...but this works for me.
I give my cat Greenies original DENTAL because of her breath and it has really gotten rid of bad breath! Each time she has greenies I have to remind her by putting one in front of my face and pretend I am chewing. I then give her a couple and with each one I say "CHEW IT" ..and she does! It doesn't work with crunchy micro sized ones like Blue Wilderness,though a great nugget.
But now she is beginning to favor one side of her mouth because she has a sore tooth, so she gets fewer Greenies these days.!
QUESTION:
Anyone know of a sizeable filled or soft chew treat that is low in phos and protein?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just logged on to see if my question had any replies out of 83 views...not even 1. So then I thought of something I had read earlier that had the gist of "Just because your cat has (name your cat's illness here)there is no need to make their life more complicated and miserable!
I take it from the absence of a reply from 83 views from cat owners here that I overthink things and perhaps am overly concerned!!!
that's all she wrote

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do think you are overly concerned with regard to the amount of phosphorus and protein in treats. As long as you are not over-feeding treats, if I were you, I'd get the ones you think she prefers and let it go at that!!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do think you are overly concerned with regard to the amount of phosphorus and protein in treats. As long as you are not over-feeding treats, if I were you, I'd get the ones you think she prefers and let it go at that!!!
I totally agree with this statement. As a matter of fact, with all three of my kidney cats, our Vet actually told us not to worry if they didn't eat the kidney diet, just make sure they eat, period. So I wouldn't worry too much about what treats to feed.