Six Week Old Only Kitten Not Eating Yet

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had two kittens six weeks ago, one of them was a stillborn, and one alive and well. They live in our bedroom, with water, food and litter. She is an extremely doting mother, and as she only has one all of her attention is on him. He still will only nurse. I have offered fancy, expensive kitten food in four different flavours, Friskies kitten food, wet cat food, he just has no interest in anything but nursing. I don’t know if this is common with an only kitten, but my neighbour is adopting him in two weeks, and I am reluctant to let him go until I know that he’s eating actual cat food and not just relying on milk.
He seems to be thriving, super active, super cuddly, super energetic, but he does seem a little bit thin.

Is this normal? Do I need to be worried?
Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get him to eat?

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. First of all, I think you should keep the kitten with mama at least until he is eating food on his own. And, as W Willowy said above, the longer the kitten can stay with his mother, the better adjusted he will be when it is time to be separated.

To start off with, try placing a little warmed formula (e.g. KMR) into a small bowl or a saucer, or better yet, a jar lid. For some reason kittens do really well with the jar lid- maybe because it is easier to manage.

Once he is lapping up the formula, you can try mixing some wet kitten food into the formula - and, of course, adjust the jar lid/dish size accordingly. But, don't be surprised if mama eats some of the concoction too!!

All the while, continue to let him nurse. I think he will eventually learn to like the idea of eating on his own. I have a friend who is currently taking care of a mama and her babies. They are now around 8-9 weeks old, and a few of them still occasionally nurse briefly from mama - although it has greatly diminished in the past couple of weeks. They are all eating wet and dry kitten food as well!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you like help finding a low cost clinic for spaying and neutering your adult cats?

It would also be excellent if you could fix the little one before he goes to his new home, at around three months old. If he is vaccinated, fixed, and dewormed, he will be most set up for success.

But yes, don’t let him go until he is truly ready. 8 weeks is so young.