Six Months Later And Still Chewing...

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

It feels like forever since I've been on the site, so I hope everyone is doing well. :D I am back today with the same problem, but as you can tell from my title, it's been quite some time.

Back in the summer I posted about my 12-week old kitten Dillon and his new habit of chewing my cords and chargers. Fast forward six months and here we are today, at my absolute wits end on what to do. I have tried just about everything:
  • Loud noises (like clapping) when I catch him at it.
  • Rubbing a small amount of lemon juice on the cords themselves.
  • Dedicated playtime.
  • His Meowbox subscription, complete with brand new toys bi-monthly.
  • His cat tree beside the window.
  • Etc...
It doesn't seem like anything is working. And interestingly, it only seems to be charging cords and headphones and nothing else, except for very occasionally going after my braid/ponytail. The only next step I can think of is getting him a playmate, which as a university student in a one bedroom apartment, I really can't do.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some plastic airline tubing, slit it up the sides, and put that over your cords. And you can get metal-clad charging cords. Of course, if the cords can be put away, do that instead. I don't think anything like playing or even having another cat will stop a kitten from chewing cords. They just love cords for some reason!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would simply buy cord wrap for each of them. It makes them thicker and less appealing to chew. Look in Amazon and you should find several relatively inexpensive ones or you can buy plastic tubing at the hardware store, split it and cover your cords with it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy cord protectors/ cord wrap & rawhide chew sticks for small dogs cut in half or thirds. I would also buy my cat some kitten chew toys ... they sell them at petco, chewy & amazon. If my cat kept looking for things to chew after that I would take my cat to the vet as a possible pica case or dental issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions. It seems like airline tubing seems to be a popular choice, so I may look into that as an option.

danteshuman danteshuman Don't worry, he sees the vet quite regularly for his nail trims (and if I am being honest, I am kind of a kitty hypochondriac since my last girl) so they monitor his teeth. I am wondering if it's just a habit I was unable to break when he was young.