Six month kitten always hungry???

lovemy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have fostered a good bit of cats/kitties and have had several come from the shelter with tapeworms. I saw the tapeworms in their poop but the fecal test came back negative for one cat. In any event, all were treated and were much happier within a few days. No more begging for food and eating everything in sight. :clap:

alistair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't hurt to get her some Drontal. In the mean time as others said, let her eat as much as she wants when she wants. If she starts getting too chubby then back off a little but at such a young age I doubt she will.

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm the owner of three 5 month old kittens, who refuse to eat the kitten food the vet said they should be eating, if she wants to eat feed her. I leave a dog water dish filled with dry food out all the time because my little "Angels" will steal any food they can get there paws on.  I was also concerned with their eating habits, my vet described it to me as the way we eat all the time when we experience a growth spirt, only they grow so quickly that they are just always hungry all the time.  My vet and the pound all told me that if they are hungry let them eat. As for her being only five pounds that's about normal for a little girl her age. My five month old girl is only 4.6 pounds and they told me that was about the middle of her age and weight chart, if she starts to lose all interest in her food and losing weight then it's time to take notice. 

alistair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, there is no reason not to let a kitten gorge unless they are getting fat.

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a colony of outside cats that we care for. We brought two of the recent kittens into the house. They are about 8 weeks now. They both weigh about two pounds. They are very eager eaters. We give them canned kitten food about every four hours during the day. They always have access to dry kitten chow.

They tend to nap and then wake up hungry. They gobble their meals and then they dash around the house like little monkeys for about an hour. They play so hard and it is so much fun to watch them. Much of the time they play so hard that they just run out of energy. It is so cute when they just seem to fall asleep in the middle of a thought.

We will miss them so much when they are homed. I would keep them but we have 6 inside cats already.

I:rbheart:

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its part of their behaviour so some cats will nibble very daintily and others stampede into the kitchen like 4-legged  hoover vacs.   

I had one cat that would litterally pick one piece of kibble out of the bowl at a time and eat it off the floor.  Took her 30 minutes to eat a few spoonfuls.

On the other hand My ragamuffin boy is a hound.   He`s 25 lbs of pure muscle and will knock you over to get at his food dish.   His face is in the dish before the food even falls off the spoon.   I wind up getting pate on the back of his head.   His food is gone 15 seconds tops.   Then he is off to see what he can steal from the other cat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I had the kitten to the vet today. She has gained slightly more than half a pound in three weeks since she was last seen (is that a good weight gain for a kitten her age?) . The vet seemed pleased with that, and said she's not over or under weight, and just to keep feeding her as long as she's hungry. She's now just under 6.1 pounds, and is now six months old. She still seems so tiny to me, maybe I'm just used to looking at our other cat, but the vet says not to worry she's just petite. Thoughts?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you can listen to your vet.  Like others have said; kittens come in all sizes.  Your vet is the only one with hands on knowledge of your cat; so they would be the best judge of whether or not the current weight is ok.  And yes; let her eat as much as he wants for now.  

threecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any updates on the cat now? If she still is always hungry?

I have a 7 month old kitten who eats really fast, and tries to eat the other cats food. There are times he has eaten too much, and throws it up. Any suggestions?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Female cats have a tendency to be smaller than male cats. I have a 12 year old female named Starbuck that has been in my life since she was a six week old baby. Altough she has grown from when she was a kitten she still looks like a kitten next to my larger adult male cats. She also still has the facial features of a kitten. She was given wet food meals as a kitten as well as access to dry food. I used an all stages food for my older male cats at that time.

Until you figure out how to get her to stay off the counters you might want to invest in a bread box. My cats generally stay off my counter as adults. If I leave bread or baked goods out when I am not home then they get into them. I put all bread and baked goods into a bread box on my counter and this is no longer an issue. They do not try to open my bread box. This is not an expensive item to buy. I think my hubby ordered our bread box from Amazon.com because he wanted one to match the wood on our kitchen cabinets.