Six kittens affected by some sort of disease.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what they have but the whole litter is infected. They cannot hold down any food whatsoever even heavily dilluted and pumpkin purée. I have to syringe feed one of them because she has completely lost her appetite. She won’t drink or eat on her own and it has been several days. She was admitted to an emergency vet and she was so bad they kept her for 3 days and gave her fluids and such and then she started showing signs of recovery and was admitted back home. Well, she is still not eating unless I syringe feed her. She IS holding it down now but she is very lethargic, weak and won’t eat / drink unless I syringe it. She has been back for 2 days now.

One of the kittens fully recovered and is eating / drinking normal. The others have no appetite and they will vomit after eating…

What could they have?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no way of knowing. It could be so many things. You need to take the litter to the Veterinarian for treatment. I don’t know how old they are but kittens can get critically dehydrated very quickly and that can be fatal.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are just so many infectuous diseases that can affect kittens! Thankfully, we know that one has recovered, which says that the rest MAY. They will need lots of support, syringe feeding and watering every few hours...how old are they?

Ideally, they should all be evaluated by a vet, and sooner rather than later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They’re around 6 months old.

I couldn’t afford to take all 6 to the vet at the same time and my insurance only covered one emergency visit which has already expired. I am still syringing one food and water. She is sneezing a lot now.
A7489961-FAA0-48BE-AD17-56A7137EE0EF.jpeg
7291A390-4AEC-4966-83B0-9D013F2A452E.jpeg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are those recent pictures? They are very cute.

I understand about the money.

Sometimes if you can find a feline only practice, they will work with your regarding treating all the kittens instead of just one.

The thing with feline only hospitals is that they are usually very cat friendly people who will do what ever they can to help.

Is there anything in your house that they could be affected by? Any cleaners? Air fresheners? Plants? Essential oils? Anything you can think of? What do you feed them? Have you applied any flea products? Have you dewormed them with anything over the counter? Any medications they could have got into? Raisons? Grapes? any type of food they could have gotten into?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fairly recent yeah. Right now all the kittens are very active and playful except one, some of them seem to be getting better and holding food down. Others are still vomiting. The one who isn’t playful is the one I took to the vet ($1,900 bill over a 3 day stay) and she has actually gotten worse since she has returned. Very lethargic and at times open mouth breathing. Sneezing a lot too. I’ve separated her from the others and am giving her lysine. She hasn’t vomited but she isn’t happy either.

Im mildly concerned about potential problems in my home that may be affecting my cats as I had two cats that died of Cancer earlier this year and it came up all of a sudden, although one of them was 10 years of age. I don’t know of anything offhand though. The house is only 3 years old and seemingly in good condition. I live near a Cellular Tower too and am unsure if that’s in any way affecting them.

Normally I feed them raw food mixed with canned wet food, about half and half. Right now it’s mostly canned food and pumpkin purée.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat is open mouth breathing that is an emergency and honestly you have to take him to a veterinarian. Don't use an emergency vet as they charge allot more. Try a feline only vet. Be upfront about what you can afford.

I would not give the raw for now. With the vomiting you have to wonder about salmonella, e coli etc.

SweetLittleKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think there might be an anti-vomitting medication for cats, but I am not positive about that, and I wouldn't want to take responsibility for giving you bad medical advice. You might want to research/Google it though.

SweetLittleKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think there might be an anti-vomitting medication for cats, but I am not positive about that, and I wouldn't want to take responsibility for giving you bad medical advice. You might want to research/Google it though.
I mean an over the counter medicine.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...for the sneezy, congested ones. You can take them in the bathroom and turn the shower on HOT. Stay in there with them to make sure they don't get in the water and get burned. The steam will help with their breathing.