Situation Boredy Cat !

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.

Our newly adopted cat,Binky has been with us since Dec 15th,as we said goodbye to our former cat Ginger on Oct 15th.

We adopted binky from a shelter as a stray,and the age posted there said 2yrs 1month.We took her to a vet who said she was at least a year older than that.

Anytime we try to pet binky she turns on like a light switch,and wants to play,so we dont pet her that much.We do play with her every day,but also just want to be able to pet her,and hear her purring.She will come up to us,and jump on our laps,or if laying back on the couch,she will rest on my chest,and purr for a bit,sometimes longer.That is always welcome,except when trying to sleep,but it is our only chance to pet,and even then if we do pet her while she is on us,she will take off,go for the food-drink bowl,then start running around,although sometimes she does come back to rst on us,but its more playing she wants.We have tried ordering toys ,like the one from the infomercial with a small plastic ball in a circular  area,and cardboard for catnip in the center.She got tired of that after a week,and the other things bought like a scratch post are not used.We do have a slight ,very slight infestation of cockroaches in the building,and she hunts them daily,catching them toying with them,then eating them.She is bored easily.I have just put it together,and i think that her previous owner who left her a stray,got tired of her,and the previous owner might have had 2 cats,one of them being binky,and since binky is an all black cat,ditched her in favor of the other cat.We dont think we would have the room for another cat,plus the expense may not be affordable right now.

Any suggestions on how to help binky not be so bored would be appreciated.We have 2 fake mouse,strings,small plastic balls etc.We need something that she can look at or play with for a good while.When the blinds are open,and the pidgeons come to rest on the balcony,Binky will stare at them for hours,but they dont come round no more.Maybe she scared em off,who knows.We will keep buying things like scratching posts etc.Things that re not too expensive.hopefully she will fall in love with whatever,but it sucks seeing her ,and sometimes hearing her meow  the meow of boredom,and it can,and has led to trouble.If only we could just pet her.Oh wee,we are hopeful this will pass soon,just wish i knew when that wil be.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
do you have any place high where she could go? a cat tree that reaches the ceiling and some cat shelves at different levels can give the cat a new place to play and relax. I turned my 3rd bedroom into a cat room with shelves and cat trees with scratching posts attached to them everywhere with toys all throughout the room and they have a blast. I have 3 cats and they don't have much space to roam around cause I don't allow them in the other 2 bedrooms but the vertical places to go helps with them all staying busy and out of each other's ways

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely second getting a cat tree or somewhere high that she can go with different "levels" and stuff. My kittens are confined to my bedroom for the next 6 months (we have a cat/dog situation) so they get a bit stir crazy sometimes. I got them a 3 level cat tree and they LOVE that thing. They race up and down it all the time (Miami frequently plays with herself by running up the tree with a toy, dropping the toy off the tree, falling off the tree after it, and repeat). It's a great outlet for them and I'm considering getting a second one (Miami also loves to LEAP from the top of the tree to the dresser and back again, so I think she'd love a second tree to leap to and from as well). It was $150 but very very well spent. They also have a tunnel that I got from the dollarstore that they love, and when they are loose in the house (dog crated) they love taking all the dog toys out of his basket and putting them in my bed. lol. Cats.

Anyway. The other thing I do to keep them from getting too stir crazy is I change out their toys. I'll give them two or three and after a week or so I put those ones away and give them different ones, that way the novelty doesn't wear off. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
The mixed blessings of having a cat with a high play drive.  It sounds like she enjoys some contact which is a good thing, and she does come and sit with you for petting sometimes which is more than my Mouse does, only time I get to pamper and stroke him is if he decides to lay out on the floor or on the end of the bed, or if I pick him up.  He loves cuddles on his terms but is not a lap cat. I would so love it if he was but I doubt it will ever happen.  I have to love who he is and make the most of the cuddles he offers and allows me.  Mostly that requires him to be run ragged and all the energy run off and until 6 months ago that could take several play sessions of half an hour or more a day.

Cat trees are great as they can climb and spend time keeping an eye on their territory so I agree they are money well spent, but look around as they vary a lot in price and you can also pick them up at sale prices too.  Feather wands are not that expensive and can have your cat running round in circles until they are panting a little and laying down for a rest.  If you can get kitty to do that a few times with rests in between you have a much higher chance of getting a tired cuddle a bit later on.  Same results might be achieved with nothing more than a bit of ribbon or twine.  Empty boxes can be played with by kitty on her own or with added human interaction and hiding toy mice, dry food or that feather wand being moved about.  It can be take a long time to do but playing with her has its rewards in that she will both use up energy and bond more closely with you.

Feather wands and fishing rod type toys that you can touch her and stroke without hands on contact are also good for checking out for any sensitive spots that she doesn't like to be touched on, or finds over stimulating so she gets more lively and bouncy. Oh, and it is quite common to find a cat enjoying a lovely stroking session followed by serious play and then more stroking.

(Make sure you keep any toys/ribbon or twine safely out of reach in a drawer or cupboard she can't get in to as they are very dangerous if played with on their own).  

She may never be a cat that loves being petted or sitting on laps but you will have a good chance of building this up the more you play with her, and swap her toys around just like @ChaseTHEBLUE has suggested.  

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky having two, they keep each other entertained.

A couple other things; I hide treats for them to find (their small scratching post has a hole in it for a toy, and I put treats in the carrier from time to time so they will go in and have a positive experience with the carrier).

Mine have a feather wand but prefer dragging it around the house themselves to anything
Lol. They only get it when I'm here watching them. Cairo is delicate and not overly smart so I know she'd eat it and get sick.

Cardboard boxes are a great idea, and I even kept mine entertained for a couple days with a toilet paper tube !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All good ideas !

We will look into a cat tree.

Right now i,ve been scrunching 8x11 note paper into balls,and taping them with scotch tape to keep em in one piece,and throwing them wherever,and she fetches like a dog-lol,and fights with them.

She loves to run!

Shes not into catnip.

I have  a cardboard box,and put some string attached to paper towel cardboard tubes,with string attached.We are positive if she gets a nice big scratching post,that will make a difference bigtime.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hee hee, if she likes chasing and chewing paper you can make paper airoplanes from any waste paper / junk mail you get. 
  She has to be patient and wait while you make them up, then see how they fly (or dive bomb).  Anything that's for free and safe is a good game!  There's a recent thread on home made cat toys that's good and it has a link for how to make a ball out of a cardboard toilet roll tube, I wish I could remember what the thread was called as it linked to the instructions....     Here is a link to a slightly older thread with various ideas on home made cat toys and games to play.  

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264569/home-made-cat-toys

Good luck sourcing a nice big cat tree for her.