Sisters aggressive after spay

Aml1893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girls Arya and Sansa were spayed Thursday, so 4 days ago. Since then, they do not get along AT ALL. Before the spay they were inseparable.

Arya won’t leave the bedroom and rarely gets off the bed. I moved food, water, and litter in there. I’ve done a lot of the the “re-introduction” steps and no progress at all.

Neither is aggressor. They both hiss, growl, then run away when they see each other.

This whole thing has me so upset since they were SO CLOSE before they were spayed We travel with them too and I’d hate to start having to leave them at home bc they can’t be around each other 😢😢.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be that they smell different to normal, having the smells from the vets on them. It will wear off but you could scent swop or wipe each of them with an article of clothing that you have worn. Maybe they are both a bit sore and grumpy too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like a form of non-recognition, though odd it's happened since they both got spayed the same day.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats | TheCatSite

How old are they? Guessing still kittens, so they should definitely get over their issues quickly. Meanwhile, keep them separated when no humans are around to supervise. And work on re-introducing them. You could also try the vanilla extract trick.

Ode to vanilla extract

Oh, do contact your vet if you think one or both of them seem lethargic, or not eating normally.

Spaying And Neutering – What To Look For After Surgery – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aml1893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like a form of non-recognition, though odd it's happened since they both got spayed the same day.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats | TheCatSite

How old are they? Guessing still kittens, so they should definitely get over their issues quickly. Meanwhile, keep them separated when no humans are around to supervise. And work on re-introducing them. You could also try the vanilla extract trick.

Ode to vanilla extract

Oh, do contact your vet if you think one or both of them seem lethargic, or not eating normally.

Spaying And Neutering – What To Look For After Surgery – TheCatSite Articles
I’m definitely calling the vet tomorrow.
Definitely wasn’t expecting this. They’re eating (though a little less), drinking, and using the litter box.
I just feel so bad for Arya being stuck in the bedroom while Sansa is playing all over the house. There’s a short hallway between the bedroom and living room where we would feed them. Neither will go in the hallway. They start getting agitated and squirming if we even step in the hallway when we’re carrying them.
We are going out of town in 10 days and I am worried sick about it now.

Amanda_934

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine are doing the same thing right now. I have two kittens and only one got spayed yesterday. Now the other one is hissing and growling. I want to know if it's because one is spayed and the other isn't.

Aml1893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine are doing the same thing right now. I have two kittens and only one got spayed yesterday. Now the other one is hissing and growling. I want to know if it's because one is spayed and the other isn't.
I’ve read a lot of articles about when one goes to the vet, the one at home doesn’t recognize them. Most of the articles say it resolves in a couple days.

I haven’t found anything about when both cats go 😕

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say your case is the classic non-recognition aggression, I mentioned in my earlier post.

I haven’t found anything about when both cats go 😕
That I've never heard of before. In fact, some people suggest taking both cats to the vet when only one has to go, to prevent non-recognition aggression. So your case isn't typical.

Aml1893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say your case is the classic non-recognition aggression, I mentioned in my earlier post.

That I've never heard of before. In fact, some people suggest taking both cats to the vet when only one has to go, to prevent non-recognition aggression. So your case isn't typical.
This is not encouraging 😂😉😉.

Arya came out of the bedroom and came to the kitchen. Sansa was chilling in her spot behind the back door, so they couldn’t see each other. They got within 2ft of each other before Arya walked past the back door and more hissing>running.

Aml1893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how are you kittens doing?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO MUCH BETTER!
Still a little hissing a growling, but they ate at the same bench like they used to and ran around a little with each other. I am so relieved. Thanks for checking in 😊
Oh, that's good to hear. Hopefully they'll be completely back to being best buddies soon. :catlove:

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That seems to me as something normal. Every time my younger cat would come back from the vet, my other cat would hiss at her acting as if she doesn't know her. But, the next day she would be normal. Give it some time

Amanda_934

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how are you kittens doing?
Thanks for asking, the one kitten who got spayed is doing good seems to be back to herself. The other kitten who didn't get spayed is still hissing and growling, they are still in separate rooms. I rubbed a towel on her then on the one who went to the vet. Yesterday I tried the vanilla extract and it worked for about 1 minute, then I used cat wipes on both and they stayed in the same room for 10 minutes with no hissing. The vet told us to be patient, this morning she was hissing and growling to the kitten who got spayed through the door.

Aml1893

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for asking, the one kitten who got spayed is doing good seems to be back to herself. The other kitten who didn't get spayed is still hissing and growling, they are still in separate rooms. I rubbed a towel on her then on the one who went to the vet. Yesterday I tried the vanilla extract and it worked for about 1 minute, then I used cat wipes on both and they stayed in the same room for 10 minutes with no hissing. The vet told us to be patient, this morning she was hissing and growling to the kitten who got spayed through the door.
Definitely be patient. You saw how worked up I was lol. Do the towel thing ALOT. Like everytime you pet them and just take the towel back and forth between the cats. That’s when they started chilling out.
Maybe when you’re home and can supervise, open the door between them. My bedroom cat slowly started coming out more. Yes, there was hissing and running away and hiding, but she eventually started coming out more and more and further and further and there was less hissing.
It’ll get better! 😊