sink pests

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, i have two five month old kittens that constantly jump on the bench, in the sink, and in the fridge. It makes it almost impossible to cook anything. It's driving me crazy! Saying no in a deep voice doesn't work, nor the spray bottle, as they love water. And i can't keep putting them in another room every time i cook or open things, or they will never learn. And they always jump in my cupboards too and run over my plates and things. Please help!

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it can be really challenging to teach cats not to do these things. Mine have gotten better about it as they've gotten older. Nothing really worked except picking them up every time they did it and putting them down gently on the floor. Eventually if you are persistent they will get it. For a long time I had to lock them out of the kitchen because I was so worried they would get burned the way they would walk across the stove while I was cooking, etc. but they are usually very well behaved now. I never used a spray bottle and wouldn't recommend as it tends to make cats afraid of you, not the kitchen.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, kittens are a challenge. This is normal kitten behavior, I'm sad to say, and it will continue for another year. Detroitcatlady has some good advice. I second her on the water bottle - don't do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I do put them on the ground, but they are like yoyos. I put one down and the other jumps up. Thought i might have to wait till they grow up. I will have to keep locking them out. They keep trying to get on my chopping board, and jumping on stove top. And i can't leave anything in the sink because they keep licking it.