Single kitten syndrome?

theresa.rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family and I have basically already settled on adopting a 12-week-old kitten we saw up for adoption alongside his siblings at a local cat shelter. We’re planning on picking him up tomorrow (we’re going to foster him first for a bit), and it’s only now that I’m reading about how young kittens often develop behavioral problems if they aren’t around other cats for the first six-ish months of their lives. As first-time cat owners, and especially considering the lifelong commitment, we really weren’t planning on getting two cats. Is this truly a bad idea? What could I possibly do? Leave him with them for a few months? Foster a second cat for a little while, only to have to take him/her back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Owning a single cat isn't horrible but owning two helps in many ways. They will get out all their energy and hyperness on each other. They will learn basic etiquette from each other. They will comfort each other and keep each other company when alone. If you own one, just expect to be their #1 play toy. :lol:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first cat sort of live alone as a kitten. The people upstairs adopted his sister so the two kittens lived separately but every night the kittens would be allowed to play with each other. The back kitchen doors would be left open and the kittens would race up and down the stairs, exploring both units and the basement and attic. The people moved away when the cats were about 6 months so for the rest of my cat's life he was alone. He didn't seem to mind. I did occasionally have gerbils and other pets but he ignored them.

Two kittens really isn't any more work than one. If you only want one kitten or don't have the patience to deal with all the mischief and trouble a kitten often gets into, maybe get an older one or even a adult cat. Adult cats are always overlooked at shelters because everyone wants a cute little kitten. Kittens grow up into adults so I don't understand why an adult is any less cute :dunno:

You don't need to get another kitten right away. It would be ideal to adopt one of the siblings as well but you can add a another kitten later. I got Leroy when he was 3 months old. He proved to be too energetic and attention demanding (the nature of being an Abyssinian) so when he was 6 months old I adopted a similar aged cat from a local rescue. Fortunately both cats got along from the start.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have always thought two were just as cheap and easy to care for. I get by with one office visit charge at the vet's, even though I bring in three. Food often gets wasted if there are not two at least to eat it. They definitely keep each other entertained and don't get lonely when you are gone. It is true single kittens can get unruly, they have many behavioral problems if they are separated from their siblings and mother between the ages of 6 and 12 weeks. It is then they learn how to play nice and mama teaches them manners. It can be overcome, it is just something that has to be dealt with. If you can't have two, you can't, just be aware you will have to teach manners and interact more. Cats do not respond to physical punishment like a dog, they do not have the 'pack' mentality and only want to please. They are so much more agile and active at a young age, but they are also loyal, faithful lifelong friends. If you get a kitten get ready for a whirlwind of activity, they are lucky they are so cute! Pet-proof your home, especially extension cords and blind cords, and be ready for some serious cuteness!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Owning a single cat isn't horrible but owning two helps in many ways. They will get out all their energy and hyperness on each other. They will learn basic etiquette from each other. They will comfort each other and keep each other company when alone. If you own one, just expect to be their #1 play toy. :lol:
That's what I did. The one guy was beating up on me, so I said, "You're gonna get a 'brother' to beat up on." Good decision.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I did. The one guy was beating up on me, so I said, "You're gonna get a 'brother' to beat up on." Good decision.
Yes! I avoided a lot of "attacks " because I could redirect the attacker onto their sibling. Two kittens is like having two kids. You are already doing the work so it's not added work but it actually gives you some freedom because they can play amongst themselves.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a Kitten, yes, it's best to get 2. If you are set on just wanting one Cat then adopting an adult Cat would be better, that way you know what you are getting. With a Kitten you don't really know what they're going to be like when they grow out of the annoying hyperactive phase.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have an only cat. We adopted her at 11 weeks. We were only allowed one in our apartment. In the year we've had her, we've had very few behavior problems. She used to pounce and bite our feet in bed, but after getting kicked out a few times, she learned to leave our feet alone. We kitten proofed and got lots of toys and did several interactive play sessions a day to get the energy out. It is possible to have an only kitten who isn't (too) naughty as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort. Getting a second kitten is a personal decision though and if you think you might want two, have the space for 3 litter boxes, and enough money for food and vet care, you might want to get two siblings. Then you don't have to worry about introductions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theresa.rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much!! I’m trying very hard to convince my family to either get a second one or not get him for the time being, as hard as that will be.. I don’t think that’s going to end up happening, unfortunately. Everyone keeps saying “He’ll be fine” and “Why would they let you adopt him alone then?” I have a feeling if we ask the people at the shelter they’ll say it’s fine, too. But I really do want the best for the little guy, I’m truly just praying it works out. It’s true, if we were to get another one it wouldn’t be *too* much added work, especially if it were a kitten since we could use the same food.

Another issue I have, though, is would it be too out of the question to foster one of his siblings just for the time being, then re-home him? I don’t know much about bonded pairs, how quickly do two cats become bonded, and would it be cruel to separate them after doing so?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much!! I’m trying very hard to convince my family to either get a second one or not get him for the time being, as hard as that will be.. I don’t think that’s going to end up happening, unfortunately. Everyone keeps saying “He’ll be fine” and “Why would they let you adopt him alone then?” I have a feeling if we ask the people at the shelter they’ll say it’s fine, too. But I really do want the best for the little guy, I’m truly just praying it works out. It’s true, if we were to get another one it wouldn’t be *too* much added work, especially if it were a kitten since we could use the same food.

Another issue I have, though, is would it be too out of the question to foster one of his siblings just for the time being, then re-home him? I don’t know much about bonded pairs, how quickly do two cats become bonded, and would it be cruel to separate them after doing so?
Shelters adopt to homes, they don't try for perfect homes or even good homes sometimes if they are full and have a waiting list. The general consensus, especially if it's a municipal shelter and not a privately run no kill shelter, seems to be "as long as we move animals to homes so we can make room for more it's ok". That means adopting out single Kittens or breaking up bonded pairs or groups of Cats that have lived together for years and are very attached to eachother even though anyone who works with animals knows those are bad things to do. For municipal shelters it makes a certain amount of sense because they have to euthanize animals to make room for more if they are full, but for privately run no kill shelters it makes no sense.

Sometimes if you ask they will tell you it's better to adopt Kittens in pairs, but they usually won't come out and say it on their own.

theresa.rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shelters adopt to homes, they don't try for perfect homes or even good homes sometimes if they are full and have a waiting list. The general consensus, especially if it's a municipal shelter and not a privately run no kill shelter, seems to be "as long as we move animals to homes so we can make room for more it's ok". That means adopting out single Kittens or breaking up bonded pairs or groups of Cats that have lived together for years and are very attached to eachother even though anyone who works with animals knows those are bad things to do. For municipal shelters it makes a certain amount of sense because they have to euthanize animals to make room for more if they are full, but for privately run no kill shelters it makes no sense.

Sometimes if you ask they will tell you it's better to adopt Kittens in pairs, but they usually won't come out and say it on their own.
Yes, that certainly does seem true. The place we’re getting him from is called Catnap From the Heart, and I do think it’s a pretty good, private, not-for-profit. But I can definitely see them saying there shouldn’t be any issues when they most likelt know having two is what’s best for them at an early age.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I think fostering a cat might end up going bad once it is rehome as kittens tend to bond quickly with whoever is willing to play with them. It might seem like a loss or even a death once the other kitten is rehome. I don't really know as I have always had at least two for keeps. Maybe others who foster to rehome can chime in. I just think it I took either Gracie or Boone away, the other would feel lost.

My opinion would be either get two for keeps or only get one and it will learn how to behave from you if you put in the time and effort.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If one kitten feels like the best thing for your family, then go with it. Your kitten has had twelve weeks of learning to “cat” with her siblings which more than many kittens have. While yes it is ideal to have a playmate for your kitten, many, many and in fact most singletons grow up to be loving, gentle, wonderful pets. You need to let them know when they are being too rough with you and make sure they are getting enough stimulation and play time with you but otherwise yours will do just fine.

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s true, if we were to get another one it wouldn’t be *too* much added work, especially if it were a kitten since we could use the same food.
Two kittens are significantly less work than a single kitten. Kittens have very high needs in terms of attention and play, and having two will mean they can get a portion of that with each other, so you don't have to be constantly interacting with them to keep their emotional needs met. They'll still be more work than an adult cat, but not as much as a single kitten would be. I picked up two siblings this summer and definitely don't regret it.

Really, the main drawbacks for getting two are more money spent on food, the extra veterinary expenses such as paying to spay/neuter both, and more frequent litter-box cleaning (for kittens I can't recommend enough a sifting litter box like this, since kittens are curious and WILL make absolutely every step of cleaning the litter box take five times as long as it should).

Anyhow, while I would always recommend two as the easiest approach, single kittens are not doomed to have a terrible life, either. It'll just be more work on you to keep them happy and to (try to) burn off their boundless energy.

theresa.rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If one kitten feels like the best thing for your family, then go with it. Your kitten has had twelve weeks of learning to “cat” with her siblings which more than many kittens have. While yes it is ideal to have a playmate for your kitten, many, many and in fact most singletons grow up to be loving, gentle, wonderful pets. You need to let them know when they are being too rough with you and make sure they are getting enough stimulation and play time with you but otherwise yours will do just fine.
Thank you! This definitely reassures me a bit and you seem to be right! We got him earlier today and he honestly seemed to have warmed up to us remarkably fast, thankfully after many long hours with him he hasn’t really nipped, bit, or scratched at us, so hopefully that keeps up.

• Purraise
Reactions: pmv

theresa.rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two kittens are significantly less work than a single kitten. Kittens have very high needs in terms of attention and play, and having two will mean they can get a portion of that with each other, so you don't have to be constantly interacting with them to keep their emotional needs met. They'll still be more work than an adult cat, but not as much as a single kitten would be. I picked up two siblings this summer and definitely don't regret it.

Really, the main drawbacks for getting two are more money spent on food, the extra veterinary expenses such as paying to spay/neuter both, and more frequent litter-box cleaning (for kittens I can't recommend enough a sifting litter box like this, since kittens are curious and WILL make absolutely every step of cleaning the litter box take five times as long as it should).

Anyhow, while I would always recommend two as the easiest approach, single kittens are not doomed to have a terrible life, either. It'll just be more work on you to keep them happy and to (try to) burn off their boundless energy.
Thank you, and you definitely seem to be right; that energy really is boundless! It’s true, having another cat around would certainly put my mind at ease (and my body at rest), but I do think he’ll be perfectly fine other than that, all things considered the money should be put towards giving Toby the best quality of life we can give him, and the expenses for two most likely would’ve overwhelmed us.

• Purraise
Reactions: pmv

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always had two (or three), but sometimes they have never liked each other or derived benefit from each other. Its something that just sort of naturally happens when you have two and one passes earlier than the other. You get a second cat, and the resident is *not* happy. Admittedly, not getting along won't happen if you adopt two kittens at the same time, but my point is that there are both tens of millions that adopt just one cat every year, and tens of millions more that have cats that don't like each other. Its routine. Only cats, and cats that may as well be only cats, do fine. If you have cats that get along, they will be a bit more active and take some of each others time and attention (more when young, less when older) and make the demands on you a bit less, but both types of cats can be very happy. You may avoid or reduce some problem behaviors when going from one to two, but will have new issues, like noisy playing at 3 am.

Bottom line, I think its totally fine to get only one if you are uncertain about diving in with two.

P.S. If a second cat is added *before* the resident cat turns two, the chances that they will be friends is excellent. If a second cat is added before the resident cat turns one, its almost a guarranty they will be friends. So there is time.

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! This definitely reassures me a bit and you seem to be right! We got him earlier today and he honestly seemed to have warmed up to us remarkably fast, thankfully after many long hours with him he hasn’t really nipped, bit, or scratched at us, so hopefully that keeps up.
Congratulations on welcoming Toby into your family!

The #1 thing to help keep kittens from scratching or biting is not using hands or feet as toys, ever, even it it looks absolutely adorable, because what's adorable now will be very painful a year from now. Interactive toys like wands with feather / mouse toys are wonderful, as they are highly engaging and keep the sharp bits away from you.

Beyond that, immediately end a play session when you get a scratch or bite (it's pretty much inevitable eventually, particularly as kittens go through teething and put absolutely everything into their mouth). Punishing a cat doesn't work, but taking away something they enjoy (your attention) is very effective as a negative reinforcer, which is different from a punishment.

theresa.rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always had two (or three), but sometimes they have never liked each other or derived benefit from each other. Its something that just sort of naturally happens when you have two and one passes earlier than the other. You get a second cat, and the resident is *not* happy. Admittedly, not getting along won't happen if you adopt two kittens at the same time, but my point is that there are both tens of millions that adopt just one cat every year, and tens of millions more that have cats that don't like each other. Its routine. Only cats, and cats that may as well be only cats, do fine. If you have cats that get along, they will be a bit more active and take some of each others time and attention (more when young, less when older) and make the demands on you a bit less, but both types of cats can be very happy. You may avoid or reduce some problem behaviors when going from one to two, but will have new issues, like noisy playing at 3 am.

Bottom line, I think its totally fine to get only one if you are uncertain about diving in with two.

P.S. If a second cat is added *before* the resident cat turns two, the chances that they will be friends is excellent. If a second cat is added before the resident cat turns one, its almost a guarranty they will be friends. So there is time.
Thank you! this helped me gain a lot of perspective, they’ll most likely each be doing their own thing when they become adults, so I suppose the strict benefits of getting 2 become more limited as more time passes.