Simon's gone...

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm devastated...I'm still reeling from what's happened.

I went to Australia for two weeks to visit my fiancee. My sister was staying and watching the furkids. All went well until right before I left. She told me the last day I was there (Thursday morning) that Simon had a little bit of a sniffle. I told her to keep an eye on him and when I got home if he was still sniffly I'd take him in, that it was probably a URI.

I left Thursday afternoon and thanks to flight delays and such it took me nearly twenty hours to get home, during which I was pretty much unreachable. She picked me up from the airport and told me that Simon (my ten month old british shorthair) still seemed mostly ok but he was a bit lethargic and had peed on the floor. This was about ten o'clock at night. I told her that we'd go and pick him up and take him to the emergency vet.

We reached my house and I went into his room and just looking at him I knew he was bad. During the time it had taken her to pick me up from the airport he had gotten ten times worse. His eyes were swollen, his back legs and tail were covered in urine and he was barely able to stand. I picked him up and said 'we're going right now' and we got back in the car and headed to the emergency vet. I called them on the way and to my surprise they said they had several criticals come in in a short amount of time and couldn't take him, so we were diverted to another emergency vet I had never been to before. They immediately took him in back.

A short time later I had a consult with the vet. I was expecting to hear he had a really bad respiratory infection but to my shock, the vet tells me that the problem is his heart. He said he was severely anemic and his heart was enlarged, he had a severe murmur, and it looked like he had fluid around his lungs. They put him in an oxygen cage and I was able to see him briefly before I headed home...I'd been conscious over twenty four hours at that point. They were going to run more tests and do a consult with a cardiologist and I left them my numbers to get hold of me. Got home and they called about three am and then again at just after four. Long story short the tests/xrays/ultrasounds left us in between a rock and a hard place.

They thought it could be a congenital defect of the heart, in particular the valves, which was shredding his blood cells and basically sending him into heart failure. Or, that it was FIP. He was so badly anemic they were recommending a blood transfusion but admitted the transfusion could send him into immediate cardiac arrest and for either condition would be little more than a bandaid. 

I got about four and a half hours of sleep and drove back in to see how he was doing. They brought him to me in a room and I'm not sure he even knew who I was. He had a glazed look, limp and lethargic, and was having a hard time breathing. Twice I thought he would pass away right there in my arms and after a bit more discussion with the vet I decided to let him go. I paid to have a full necropsy done so I could give it to the breeder if it did turn out to be a congenital issue. 

It was so heartbreaking. He was my special little Handsome, such a cuddle bug who just loved to be held and give kisses. He'd reach up and give you a gentle little pat on the face and was always purring. He loved everyone and just wanted to be snuggled. I still feel sick from the whole thing.

I did email the breeder and let her know and that I was getting a necropsy. She nearly made me cry again in her response...she's just as devastated and offered me a little chocolate smoke boy she had been planning to keep for show. It was so incredibly sweet but I told her I'd have to think about it...I'm too emotionally gut-punched right now to really think about it. 

Good bye my little Simon...Mama will miss you forever.

View media item 293172

Last edited by a moderator:

kkrauss1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am really sorry for your loss, for those of us who truly love our pets it is literally no different than a child, parent, sibling, or best friend dying.  I am going through some medical issues with my 11 year old and am terribly worried I am going to lose him, it has me mentally exhausted, just thinking about having to do the unthinkable has me devastated so I can imagine how you feel having just gone through it.  No more pets for me after this, just too painful to see them go.  I hope you feel better soon.  Your cat was beautiful and it sounds like you took great care of him. 

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon is beautiful! I'm so sorry for your loss, it's never easy and they are never with us long enough.

Please update when you know more about what happened.

Simon was lucky to have you as it is obvious how much you love and care for your kitties. :hugs:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness. I am so, so sorry. :bawling: FIP is such a cruel, sudden disease and is always fatal. No words can take away your pain. Know that Simon had a wonderful life with you, and knew for sure that he was loved.

:rbheart: Rest in peace, Simon, you gorgeous boy :rbheart:
Your time was far too short :angel: [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji] :angel:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.  I had heard of it but didn't know anything about it until I started seeing it show up here.  It is such a cruel, bizarre, and impossible to 100 percent diagnose disease.  It is the one disease that there is nothing that can be done.  No one is to blame, not you, not the breeder, not the vet.  

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good bye my little Simon...Mama will miss you forever.
I am so sorry for your terrible loss.  Please let us know the necropsy results. The wet (effusive) form of FIP is the one that kills quickly and almost always involves fluid build up in the abdomen.  What your describing does sound a bit more like a cardiac problem but honestly, as others have said, FIP is a very complicated and mysterious disease. The necropsy results will be important.  AGain I'm so very sorry.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, what a beautiful baby.  My heart aches for you. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace dear Simon...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 No one is to blame, not you, not the breeder, not the vet.
I know. I've been reading more on it and that's the one comfort I can take. My poor sister was so upset thinking it was something she'd done wrong or should have seen or caught faster but it wasn't her fault either. No one could have predicted it and no one could have done anything about it other than what was done. I'm just gutted.
 The wet (effusive) form of FIP is the one that kills quickly and almost always involves fluid build up in the abdomen.  What your describing does sound a bit more like a cardiac problem but honestly, as others have said, FIP is a very complicated and mysterious disease.
I remember the vet saying he had fluid around his lungs for sure. He *might* have said abdomen as well but I was so exhausted for most of it I was lucky I understood english, so I can't swear one way or another. The vet did tell me it was impossible to say for sure, that there was no test that could be done while the kitty was alive to say definitively. He did say there was the protein imbalance with his globulin? which is a really good marker apparently. I don't know. I don't know if I should hope it was FIP or if I should hope it was a heart defect. None of it will change the outcome. All I can do is wait for the necropsy results.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sweet dreams beautiful Simon, sorry for your loss RavyWriter, I know by own experience, nothing I say, will help you, so the only thing I offer you is a big cyber hug. 

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, here's my next concern. As I mentioned above, the breeder is devastated by the news. Obviously we're still waiting on the necropsy results, but regardless of if it was FIP or not she wants to give me a little chocolate smoke boy that she was keeping back for show. He's Simon's brother.

The breeder contract offers a replacement if the kitty dies within 12 months of a congenital disease. She is going above and beyond by offering a new boy of show quality (Simon was only pet quality) for something that was likely not even congenital. I'm still putting off making a final decision right now because obviously, I just lost Simon. 

I keep reading conflicting info...one says that parentage doesn't matter and then another source says it does. One says you should wait a year before getting a new kitty, several (including my vet) says it doesn't matter as FIP itself is not contagious and that if I want, merely cleaning up with bleach should do the trick. 

As well, other factors need to be considered. Obviously, there are several things that make taking this new kitty appealing: it's my little man's brother, the breeder is making a very heartfelt and generous offer, yes it's fast but she's not going to have another litter for another year and I'd kind of like to get a kitten while Ripley (formerly Pipsqueak) is still a kitten enough herself to play with it and become buds (the other two cats are geriatric and while they don't mind kittens, they avoid interacting with them). My fiancee is due to arrive in the country in two weeks and she's not going to be able to work for a couple of months until immigration paperwork and stuff goes through, so obviously having someone home with a new kitty during the day is wonderful.

At the same time it's fast. I don't want to feel like I'm just replacing Simon and of course I absolutely dread the same thing happening to a new baby, even though I know it's highly unlikely it would. All of Simon's littermates have been doing very well and are very healthy.

Thoughts on this?

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts.
I have to tell you that I was born with a congenital heart defect. I have heard of and followed several cats that have had them. My defect is a complex one. You mentioned the valves. It could have been tetralogy of fallot, or another defect. I have followed a cat with T.O.F. While this is correctable in humans, doing the surgery on a cat isn't something that is common. I have had five open heart surgeries and I can attest to how fluid builds up if you are having heart failure issues. As horrible as it was, your furbaby is in heaven now and isn't suffering anymore. That is the only thing that gets me through some days when I'm missing my furbabies.
My aunt started our county's cat shelter many years ago. She passed away last year at the age of 97. After I had lost one of my furbabies she told me that when God takes one of them away from us, that means He has another one for us that needs taken care of.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ralphscat, if it hadn't happened to me I wouldn't believe it. After Yanny crossed the rainbow I was devastated, but somehow another black kitten came to me with lots of health issues and needs me so much.

Ravynwriter: Maybe the breeder can return the money and instead of buying, you could adopt a kitten. I'm sorry I am so against breeders (you need money, work, don't explode animals), there are so many abandoned animals in need of a new home and in deep need of love.

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Maybe the breeder can return the money and instead of buying, you could adopt a kitten. I'm sorry I am so against breeders (you need money, work, don't explode animals), there are so many abandoned animals in need of a new home and in deep need of love.
I appreciate and understand the sentiment, believe me, but no. For many reasons. I believe truly good breeders are not part of the problem. No truly good breeder breeds for or even makes money. They're instrumental in keeping actual breeds and lines intact. A truly good breeder tracks their kittens and takes them back for ANY reason, requires spay and neuters (if they don't do them before they even sell the animal) and so is not contributory to the homeless cat problem. 

I have always had rescue kitties, and have fostered. I've volunteered at shelters. All the rest of my kitties are all rescue and my fiancee and I are considering fostering again now that there are two of us to do so. I feel absolutely no guilt at having or getting a registered purebred from a good quality professional breeder who is doing it right. 

I know this is a very polarized topic and there are people who feel strongly about it one way or the other. I'm respectful of and thankful for your point of view and understand it.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you will make another kitten happy, and that kitten is waiting somewhere for you to give you all his/her love.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am truly sorry for your loss. Simon was such a beautiful kitty! I know the pain of losing a beloved kitty. I would never wish that devastating pain on anyone. I wish I had some magic words to help lessen the pain you are feeling. Just remember that you gave Simon a loving home and he knew how much he was loved. He loved you just as much. I hope you can one day think of your Simon with smiles instead of tears.
As for getting another kitty, everyone has their own timeframe for that. I am sure you have enough room in your heart to adopt another kitty. You will never forget your Simon and you would never want to. Your new kitty would never be a replacement for your Simon. He or she would love you just as Simon did and just like all your kitties do. You would love the new kitty for the special kitty that they are.
The new kitty will come along when it is the right time for you. Only you will know when that time is. It may be the breeder's kitty or another kitty. You will know the kitty for you and the right time. You will just know!!
All the best on your decision.
RIP Sweet Simon!
You were very much loved and will always be missed!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such a difficult decision. I honestly don't know what I'd do in your situation.

Maybe consider meeting this kitten. You might get more of a feeling about what you want to do. I'm sure the breeder would understand that you're unsure about what you want to do, and would be open to a 'no strings' meeting.

If it felt possible, you might want to ask her to wait until after the necroscopy results before you make a final decision.

At the meeting, you could make a scent cloth to present to Ripley - her reaction is important too, and a really strong negative reaction to the new scent might indicate that SHE isn't ready to accept a new kitten yet - surely a significant factor in your final decision.

My heart goes out to you. :hugs:

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the vet just called, they got the necropsy results back a bit sooner than I expected.

There's no question, it was definitely wet FIP. 

While it's nice to have an answer i still feel just numb. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so hard to loose a pet and he was such a special and cute little guy.  At least now you know for sure and you know that there was nothing that could be done.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so hard to loose a pet and he was such a special and cute little guy.  At least now you know for sure and you know that there was nothing that could be done.
:yeah: I hope that knowing the cause is able to bring you some small comfort :hugs: At least you can let go of any 'what ifs' now.