Silver-Spotted-Savannah-In-Northern-Virginia-Needs-a-Home-Owner-Died-Family-Doesn't-Want-The-Cat

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This-was-posted-on-the-board-yesterday.The-cat-is-a-Savannah,the-owner-died,and-the-neighbors-are-trying-to-find-the-cat-a-home,because-the-family,doesn't-want-the-cat.

Does anyone know of a Savannah rescue in the Northern Virginia area or someone
who might want to adopt a Savannah? I haven't seen the cat but one of the
neighbors called --- the owner died, family doesn't want the cat, and the
neighbors are trying to help find the cat a new home. I just can't take the
cat in but the neighbors are trying to do the right thing (since the family
won't) so want to help if I can.

Here's what I got from the neighbor

Silver Spotted Savannah
Approximately 6 years old (adopted when he was 2 - 7/13/09) -- neighbors are
trying to contact the rescue/breeder
Neutered Male Indoor cat.
6/09- FVRC booster, microchipped, Rabies vaccine, Feleuk/Fiv test- negative
It appears that his last Vet visit was 9/24/10. He got an exam but no shots.
It's very possible he has been back since then but I don't have any records.
He should definitely be in a home with no other cats or dogs. He has been the
only cat for at least four years.
At this time Silver is very unsocialized and appears pretty wild but I
understand that he was quite bonded with Ron so this behavior may just be from
all the trauma he has recently been through (sudden death of his significant
other, many strangers through the house, etc.) .
He also could be unsocialized because for four years he has had no contact with 
humans other than Ron.
He should also definitely be an indoor cat.

thanks
Carol

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Boy, I sure hope they can get in touch with the breeders, although what they will do with a now neutered cat is beyond me
.  But maybe they will be sympathetic to the cause and just take him in. 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy, I sure hope they can get in touch with the breeders,

Yes, me too
. Truthfully, I would like to get in touch with the "person in charge"
. I can also, recommend some rescues and rescuers, if you would like
?

although what they will do with a now neutered cat is beyond me

F1-F4 males are genetically sterile. That is why they are sold as pets.

But maybe they will be sympathetic to the cause and just take him in. 

Yes, I really hope so. If he he is a foundation cat (F1-F4, though I normally only take F1-F3) cat and I can contact the owner, I would consider adopting him!
This-was-posted-on-the-board-yesterday.The-cat-is-a-Savannah,the-owner-died,and-the-neighbors-are-trying-to-find-the-cat-a-home,because-the-family,doesn't-want-the-cat.

I missed it
? I REALLY wish, I had more free time and could find things better!

Does anyone know of a Savannah rescue in the Northern Virginia area

I know of someone, who would help. At least, I used to

or someone who might want to adopt a Savannah?

I would, depending on the generation. Since, I normally only take F1-F3. But, in this case it does sound rather urgent.

I haven't seen the cat but one of the neighbors called --- the owner died, family doesn't want the cat,

I tried to do a rescue like this once. Thankfully, the owner was only in the hospital two days and then came back home. So, is everyone really sure this cat "needs rescue"?

and the neighbors are trying to help find the cat a new home.

Not sure what to make of that part. Can you elaborate?

I just can't take the cat in but the neighbors are trying to do the right thing (since the family
won't) so want to help if I can.

Do you know the generation of the cat? Meaning, is it an F1-SBT? Can you get a photo? Do you know the age of the cat? Do you know how it grew up? Since, if I do not take the cat, that is all VERY pertinent information that I can pass on
. Has anyone tried calling any of the licensed hybrid rescue groups? Would you like the information?

Here's what I got from the neighbor

Silver Spotted Savannah

The color silver can be F1-SBT cat

Approximately 6 years old (adopted when he was 2 - 7/13/09) -- neighbors are
trying to contact the rescue/breeder

Any luck with that? Do you know what rescues they have tried to contact?

Neutered Male Indoor cat.

That is good

6/09- FVRC booster, microchipped, Rabies vaccine, Feleuk/Fiv test- negative

GREAT NEWS
!

It appears that his last Vet visit was 9/24/10. He got an exam but no shots.

Okay

It's very possible he has been back since then but I don't have any records.

Any idea why, he would have been back at the vet?

He should definitely be in a home with no other cats or dogs. He has been the only cat for at least four years.

Is that per the owners request? Since, most hybrids to do better with other animals, once exposed to them again and it is done SLOWLY ? Personally, I could NEVER take a hybrid and have it be my only cat. Plus, I have pure domestics anyway

At this time Silver is very unsocialized and appears pretty wild

Can you explain what you mean? The early generation Savannahs (F1-F3) can bond very strongly with the original owner. So, what appears to be "wild" is actually the cats "grieving process". It will get better with time.

but Iunderstand that he was quite bonded with Ron so this behavior may just be from
all the trauma he has recently been through (sudden death of his significant
other, many strangers through the house, etc.) .

Yes, you hit the nail on the head!!! In other words, you are one million percent correct!

He also could be unsocialized because for four years he has had no contact with 
humans other than Ron.

None at all
? If that is truly the case and he is an F1 or F2 he needs to go to someone with way more time and experience then me. I can try and contact some people.

He should also definitely be an indoor cat.

Yes, hybrids of any type/breed will wonder and could possibly be killed while doing so! Killed via people and traffic/wildlife!

thanks
Carol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It-was-posted-on-the-cat-show-board,which,being-a-Savannah,I-am-surprised,didn't-get-any-negative-comments,for-a-change,just-trying-to-help-this-kitty-find-a-home.His-owner-died.I-thought-of-you,and-I-know-others-on-here,have-hybrids,if-that-is-the-correct-term.

I-don't-know-the-cat,just-saw-the-post,and-thought-you-guys-could-help,either-with-a-home,or-a-breed-rescue-that-could-take-him.I-did-ask-for-contact-information,will-request-it-again,on-the-show-board.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This-was-posted-on-the-show-board,in-reply-to-my-post,that-I-had-someone-who-could-either-take-him,or-help-find-him-a-home,and-that-person-was-knowledgeable-about-Savannah's.I-will-also-pass-on-the-information-you-gave-me-about-the-F-info.

The neighbors are coordinating with the Savannah rescue and I believe a breeder in West Virginia is going to either take him or foster him.    They're already contacted the cat's breeder also - some confusion on exactly what his F# is but the rescue is working that.    If for some reason this falls through I'll definitely ask them to contact you.

thanks again

Carol

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This-was-posted-on-the-show-board,in-reply-to-my-post,that-I-had-someone-who-could-either-take-him,or-help-find-him-a-home,

That was very very very nice of the person to reply in a timely manner
. Please thank them for me
!

and-that-person-was-knowledgeable-about-Savannah's.I-will-also-pass-on-the-information-you-gave-me-about-the-F-info.

The neighbors are coordinating with the Savannah rescue

Do you happen to know which one? There are WAY too many now. Now, just like with every other breed rescue, though I suspect way more common with dog rescues, then pure domestic cat rescues, some of the "rescues" are just people that want these animals "free" and or "hoard them".

and I believe a breeder in West Virginia is going to either take him or foster him. 

I really really really hope, for the cats sake, that is who I was thinking of in the previous post. Since, they are a PRO and will keep any animal (exotic cat or hybrid) for the REST OF ITS LIFE, if they need to. Or, can find the cat a suitable home and charge a REASONABLE adoption fee!

They're already contacted the cat's breeder also

That is really really good too
. Assuming, it is one of the more ethical breeders

- some confusion on exactly what his F# is but the rescue is working that. 

it is only important, in that it will help the future owner or rescue "understand the cat better". Only a few people, like me, will CARE. Since, in general, I only take the higher generation foundation cats.

Lastly, depending on the rescue, the "determination" of the F level of the cat, can go "very well to horrible wrong".

If for some reason this falls through I'll definitely ask them to contact you.

If, the rescue in WV is who I think it is, nothing will fall threw and they will do way better for the cat, then I could. If, the cats behavioral description is correct.

thanks again

Carol
It-was-posted-on-the-cat-show-board,which,being-a-Savannah,I-am-surprised,didn't-get-any-negative-comments,for-a-change,just-trying-to-help-this-kitty-find-a-home.

Ahh, that explains how I missed it
. I did mention that I can be mega ditsy
.   Yay, I consider that to be a major plus. Meaning, at least, under certain circumstances, people at least are not "freaked out" by the term Savannah. I really really wish, I understood why people where so freaked out by hybrids

His-owner-died.I-thought-of-you,and-I-know-others-on-here,have-hybrids,if-that-is-the-correct-term.

Yes, the term hybrids is correct
. More specifically, exotic cat hybrids.  When I first read that, I thought you meant, you thought of me, cause the owner died and not cause of the Savannah
. I swear, I understand it now

I-don't-know-the-cat,just-saw-the-post,and-thought-you-guys-could-help,either-with-a-home,or-a-breed-rescue-that-could-take-him.I-did-ask-for-contact-information,will-request-it-again,on-the-show-board.

Cool cool

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If-you-want-to-paw-mail-me,who-you-think-it-is,and/or-what-rescues-are-good-ones-or-bad-ones,I-will-pass-the-info-on-to-Carol.

You-can-rest-assured,if-Carol-is-involved,the-kitty-will-end-up-in-a-good-home,she-been-on-the-circuit-for-some-time,and-like-me,no-one-is-going-to-slide-something-past-her,LOL.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If-you-want-to-paw-mail-me,who-you-think-it-is,and/or-what-rescues-are-good-ones-or-bad-ones,I-will-pass-the-info-on-to-Carol.

Hi

I always wondered what PM stood for
. I told you, I am ditsy, I thought it stood for personal message
. Anyway, I did ask, if, it was who I thought it was/should be. Plus, gave you two other names, that you can pass along to Carol. Of course, I left you some questions too

You-can-rest-assured,if-Carol-is-involved,the-kitty-will-end-up-in-a-good-home,

That makes me very very very happy
. Since, a lot of people: either ask way too much money for an adult rescue and that means, normally, the cat just ends up being re-homed way too many times or they just "stick the cat" on someone with no idea. Then, that poor person, has very unrealistic exceptions and more often then not, re-homes the cat.

she-been-on-the-circuit-for-some-time,and-like-me,no-one-is-going-to-slide-something-past-her,LOL.

Yay, can you personally thank Carol for me? It does my
good, to know that other people care
!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any news, on the Savannah? Did you ever get my PM? If not, I will resend it. Lastly, if you replied, I did NOT get the response. Hence, why I did not answer!