Silly Question - Is Cat Blood Harmful To Humans?

Kylialle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was petting my cat and noticed a big scab on the back of her neck. No idea what it came from. Started to wonder if there are diseases that can be passed from cat to humans through their blood?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't know about that, but hopefully you're calling your vet about the issue on your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kylialle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! She wrestled with one of my other cats a lot and I’m wondering if she got it from that. Hopefully will heal up just fine!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not 100% sure, but short of rabies or cat scratch fever (bartonella germ), I don't believe there are other diseases that are specifically transmitted from cat to humans through blood. And, obviously, these are not likely, especially if your cats are indoors only and/or have received the proper vaccinations.

You are more likely to pick up something from not washing your hands after litter box cleaning, and things like that.

But, keep an eye on the scratch on your cat for signs of an infection, which would likely need a vet visit and antibiotics. You can try to help heal it by using something as simple as a chamomile tea bag (no additives). Brew it, cool the liquid, and then dab it on the scratch with a cotton ball. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have nothing to worry. This kind of interspecies trasmission it's non existent and virtually impossible

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theres not a lot of zoonotic risk with cats and most of it is with suppressed immune systems in the human (including pregnancy). there are some kinds of bacteria that can be in the cats blood (they will show clinical signs) that would only pose a concern if you have any open wounds that the blood comes in contact with. Just wash your hands as usual and youll be fine