Silly little question about chirping

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our female kitten is walking around this morning with a toy in her mouth, "chirping" and "singing." We love it, but we don't know if we are supposed to congratulate her on catching her "prey" — or for taking such good care of her "baby."

Does anyone know for sure what's going on when they do this?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute. Holland only chirps if she sees a bird outside, so I have no idea what your girl is "talking" about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Cute. Holland only chirps if she sees a bird outside, so I have no idea what your girl is "talking" about.
Ah, that's a different noise; this toy-in-the-mouth sound is more "musical."

When I spot a bird and make that other sound, my cats will all come over to see the bird. That's one aspect of cat language I can speak, along with hissing and purring. (As a feral baby, Wendy started to purr after listening to me do it for awhile.)

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that Holland is quiet, but sometimes I wish she'd make more kitty noises... they sound really cute.

nosykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

Our female kitten is walking around this morning with a toy in her mouth, "chirping" and "singing." We love it, but we don't know if we are supposed to congratulate her on catching her "prey" — or for taking such good care of her "baby."

Does anyone know for sure what's going on when they do this?
This sound is most often associated with looking for attention and also being happy/delighted.

She is probably happy, excited and wants you to see what she has.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NosyKitty

This sound is most often associated with looking for attention and also being happy/delighted.

She is probably happy, excited and wants you to see what she has.
What ever she is doing she is happy and excited about it and wants her favorite people to admire her skill and share in her pride in herself. What a clever girl!