Silent Meow?

cheshirecat03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am new around here so I apologize if this is in the wrong section!

I have a one year old kitty named Gracie. She is a brown tabby who I got for free in April from a very lovely couple. She was a barn cat who they unfortunately couldn't keep because she didn't get along with their other cat.

For the first month or so Gracie never meowed! She would just look at me (or another family member) and open her mouth but no sound would come out! She has gotten a bit better now; she'll meow occasionally but they sound a bit funny. More often then not she does a "silent meow," as my family calls it.

I was just wondering if this was normal? Aside from this she is a completely normal, healthy, happy cat! I just find it odd because we have had cats in the past and I don't remember any of them silently meowing.

Thank you! Also if this is in the wrong section please tell me where to properly post it! :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS! 

This section is fine for your question.

My very first cat was a tabby called Fred.. I was only about six years old and had saved him from being drowned with his littermates. Fred used to hang out on top the the hot water system and whenever he saw me, he would do exactly what your cat does.. a 'silent meow'.  I would give him a 'silent meow' back and he would return it.. We could go on like that for some time.  I loved that guy!

It is probably worthwhile just having a vet check things out when you're next there, just in case there's a throat thing happening.

Any pictures of Gracie?
  You may like to introduce yourself and her in our New Cats on the Block forum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirecat03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe thank you for the welcome! :D I will most certainly post pictures once I have access to my laptop! (My brothers using it so I'm currently using my iPod.)

Also thanks for your response! :D My dads a bit on the fence about taking her to the vet - he thinks she may just be shy and that's why she's not meowing? The previous owners cats used to pick on Gracie so he thinks that may have something to do with it because she does meow sometimes, although it's rare.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Also thanks for your response!
My dads a bit on the fence about taking her to the vet - he thinks she may just be shy and that's why she's not meowing? The previous owners cats used to pick on Gracie so he thinks that may have something to do with it because she does meow sometimes, although it's rare.
I think this is highly likely... she may have learnt not to make a sound.  Poor thing.  But she's certainly landed on her feet now, finding you.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also had a cat who liked to silently meow at us, though she was generally extremely vocal!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also had a cat that gave both the "Silent Meow" and a louder meow vocabulary depending on her mood.

Just to be on the safe side to have it checked out at a vets office for any issues.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aww my Charlie was the same way for the first 3 months i've had him. never a meow from him ever. Even when we did something that displeased him (clipping his claws, grooming). All we heard from him were chirps and clicks. slowly he started to meow, but again, we rarely ever heard him. his meows were very low, and rarely existant...

now, he wont STFU (sorry)

he talks ALL THE TIME

ESPECIALLY when its 5am, and i have to be up in 2 hours for work, but he's hungry..or lonely, right at 5AM!!

don't worry. you'r girl will find her voice. some cats don't meow much, and some cats don't meow right away. If you feel this may be due to a health issue, you should take her to a vet to get checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirecat03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe! Thankfully Gracie doesn't meow or try to wake me up at 5 am! It's usually around 7:30-8:00 am that she starts trying to wake me up!

I'm so glad to hear that other owners have experienced the same thing!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My blighty who has turned from a tiny kitten to s very big boy squeaks. No meows.